Stress Test: Diagnostic tool used for evaluating heart function during stress
Goal of every stress test is to put your heart in state of increased activity and there are few types of this tests.
During some test, such as during nuclear stress test the doctors use small amount of radioactive substance and a special camera to detect decreased blood flow in certain areas of the heart.
On the other hand, there is also dobutamine or adenosine stress test, during which the doctor gives a patient, which is unable to exercise, a drug to determine how the heart works when exposed to stress.
While there are several types of this tests we are going to talk about the most used one, the treadmill stress test.
As the name suggest, it is preformed on a treadmill in order to evaluate the effectivness of your heart during increased level of activity. The level of activity includes steady, moderate to high paced walking.
It is used to:Detect irregular heart rhythm-arrhythmia during increased level of activityEvaluate blood flow to the heart during increased level of activityEvaluate the effectivness of certain heart medicationsEvaluate the state of coronary blood vessels and risk of coronary heart disease
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE STRESS TEST
Talk with your doctor day before the test if you are taking any medications to determine which drugs you can and can`t take on the day of the test. Besides heart medications this applies for all kinds of medications, especially if you have diabetes.
Don`t eat or drink anything couple of hours before the test. Don`t drink coffe or take any caffeine containing supplements or teas on the day of the test or at least 12 hours before the test. Caffeine is a stimulant and it can affect your test results.
Also it would be good to wear sneakers and some loose, soft clothes suitable for the test.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING STRESS TEST
Before the test your doctor will probablly do ECG of your heart at resting state. Now, when it comes to the stress test, after you take your shirt off, the nurse will place small patches on to your chest.
Then, she will connect the patches with electrodes that are attached to an electrocardiograph monitor which will monitor and record electrical activity of your heart during the stress test.
You will start walking slowly on the treadmill while degree of difficulty gradually increases as the time goes. During the test, blood pressure, heart rate, your reactions and condition will be monitored by the doctors. If you fell any kind of pain, pressure, dizziness or any other unusual symptoms, tell it to the doctors.
The test on a treadmill last from 5 to 12,15 minutes, depending on a patient plus the preparations and evaluation before the test.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER THE STRESS TEST
After the test, the doctor may leave you on a treadmill for a couple more minutes to cool down until your heart rate and blood pressure come back to normal.
Then, patches and electrodes will be taken off and after you dress up, the doctor will tell you to wait in the waiting room until he examines the results of the test.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.