My stress hormones: Adaptogens and their effect on Cortisol and ACTH
I have measured my stress hormones a few times, now. It all began, after I was experiencing chronic body aches. Although some of it went away with rest and diet, I still didn't felt as my old self, after two months of rest.
The pain was consequence of overtraining, due to my efforts to get rid of heart disease as well as due to stress which was caused by family problems. Because of it, I was forced to contact my doctor which scheduled some test.
Although I had couple of them, not until I measured my cholesterol and stress hormone levels for the first time, I managed to find the source of the problem.
Note: For better view, click right mouse button on the picture and open it in a new window. Also, in the tests below, KORTIZOL is Croatian name for cortisol.
After I found out, how high are my ACTH and cortisol levels, I started learning about hormones, endocrine system and how to balance them.
Although I was taking fish oil, superberries and Hawthorn, for my heart condition, I decided to order additional supplements such as Ashwagandha and phosphatidylserine.
As you can see from the test above, roughly three weeks after taking Ashwagandha and phosphatidylserine, my stress hormones, especially ACTH, decreased a lot.
Although phosphatidylserine did work, in my opinion, these these kind of results were mostly attributed to Ashwagandha. The first time I took it, I felt strange sensations in my back, where adrenal gland is located as well as some of the pain I was having.
Since my cortisol and ACTH were still elevated, I had to do dexamethasone suppression test to check, that my pituitary gland and ACTH-cortisol feedback loop, are working properly.
I have passed the test which can be seen above, where my cortisol is very low due to dexamethasone. Dexamethasone is synthetic glucocorticoid similar to cortisol.
When you take synthetic hormones such as this one, the body sees that and decreases natural production of your own hormones or in this case, cortisol. Also, I should say that it was very difficult to fall asleep at night because of dexamethasone.
This last blood test was year after my last ACTH and cortisol measurements. As you can see, my ACTH l is right where it should be. However, my ACTH ll is slightly elevated.
This is because I had two hour nap, before giving blood for my afternoon
measurement, since I got only five hours of sleep, night before. Sleep increases ACTH and cortisol, besides other hormones.
Although my ACTH was finally ok, getting better control over cortisol, when it comes to stress hormones, is a little bit more difficult.
WHAT ABOUT CORTISOL
While trying to decrease cortisol, I ordered Rhodiola. However, I didn't felt the same kind of benefits, as while taking Ashwagandha.
In my opinion, part of the brain responsible for controling cortisol works just fine, in my case, which can be seen from dexamethasone suppression test.
However, for situations such as this one, mental training, relaxing techniques and herbs like Kava Kava can be very helpful, by improving your response to stress. Also, I didn't measure my cortisol levels after taking only Rhodiola for two months, so I can't confirm my opinion with additional tests.
Although Ashwagandha helped me a lot since it works on the part of brain which controls ACTH, I was eager to try other adaptogens, too.
Because of it, I ordered Imperial Adaptogen, besides few other adaptogenic formulas. However, I found this one to be the most effective for me. Today I take ORAC-Energy Greens, every other day. It is produced by the same company and it contains imperial adaptogens as well as other super foods.
I also took Imperial Adaptogen formula few months before taking the last test which can be seen on my DHEA-S levels. Adaptogens improve the function of endocrine glands, especially adrenal glands which are responsible for production of DHEA and stress hormones such as cortisol.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.