Stress and heart attack 101
Stress and heart attack go along together as salt and pepper. While stress is one of the causes of heart disease, in some people it can even lead to heart attack.
Although the experience ain't such as the one you see in movies, the dangers are. In order to decrease the risk of stress induced heart attack, you have to know what happens in our body while we are faced with stress.
Also, some people are at higher risk which primarily depends on their health as well as family history of heart attack. However, there are couple of factors which can help decrease the risk of heart attack, by improving cardiovascular system and your ability to deal with stress.
STRESS AND HEART ATTACK - HOW DOES IT AFFECT OUR BODY CHEMISTRY
When you are exposed to high levels of stress, your body increases production of fight or flight hormones such as adrenaline, ACTH and cortisol. These hormones raise blood pressure and heart rate, constrict blood vessels in the body, while expanding them in the muscles.
Due to build up of adrenaline in your blood, you may start shaking which is quite normal. All this prepares your for fast, explosive reaction which can save your life, when faced with life threatening situation. On the other hand, while this was life saving when our ancestors were faced with wild beasts which they fought to the death, today it cases more harm than good.
We experience fight or flight reaction because of our job, bills, busy schedule and other factors which aren't life threatning at all. However, since they have significant effect on our life, they are a major source of stress.
Stress increases coagulation factors in the blood thereby protecting us against bleeding, during fight or flight. However, by doing so, stress hormones also increases the chances of blood clots and heart attack.
STRESS AND HEART ATTACK - WHO IS AT HIGHER RISK
Some people are at higher risk of heart attack, than other individuals who are faced with stress. High cholesterol and weakened heart function are two main factors which drastically increase the chances of heart attack, especially when combined with stress.
High cholesterol usually leads to formation of plaque on the artery walls and atherosclerosis. Stress hormones can break the plaque which can travel through the bloodstream until it encounters narrowing in the arteries which is small enough for the plaque to close it down, completely.
In this case, when it comes to stress and heart attack, increase in coagulation factors isn't even necessary, for the heart attack to occur. However, it can make things worse, by causing massive heart attack and dying of the heart muscle tissue, on a grand scale. This kind of damage is irreversible, only option left is heart transplant.
If you have weak heart function, the burst of adrenaline can make it skip out of beat, while blood clot can damage it even further. Heart muscle with impaired function can't cope with increase in heart rate and stroke volume, caused by stress, which can lead to arrhythmia, heart palpitations as well as heart attack.
STRESS AND HEART ATTACK - HOW TO DECREASE THE RISK
There are several methods which can help you decrease the risk of stress induced heart attack. First of all, by reducing cholesterol levels, there is less chance from plaque forming on the artery walls. Also, by improving heart function, the cardiac muscle will handle increase in heart rate and stroke volume, more easily, when exposed to stress hormones.
You can achieve both of this through healthy diet and regular exercise. However, some herbs and supplements such as adaptogens can help, too.
When it comes to stress and heart attack, there are couple tips and techniques which can help you relax as well as improve your ability to deal with stressful situations, more easily.
The most effective way to relax, is to take some time for yourself, away from the kids, partner, family and friends and practice deep breathing for couple of minutes until you feel relaxed enough. On the other hand, we can't avoid stress in our life but we can reduce the amount of exposure to daily stress as well as our respons to it, by logical and relaxed approach to stressful situations.
However, it may take some time to get the grasp of these two.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.