The Aftermath: 7 Side Effects Of
A pineapple is one of the most nutritious fruits we have.
It is loaded with nutrients that our body needs, including vitamins C, B1, and
B6. It is also rich in manganese, pantothenic acid, folate, and dietary fiber.
Although there is no question as to the immense health benefits of pineapples, too much consumption of this crowned fruit may cause undesirable side effects. It’s still much better to eat in moderation.
If you happen to be one of those who just can’t resist
this prickly yet unbelievably
affordable juicy fruit, then you should know the side effects of eating
pineapples. Here are seven of them.
1. Increase in Blood Sugar Levels
This is probably one of the most common side effects of
pineapples, considering that this fruit becomes very sweet. A cup of pineapple
can contain up to 16 grams of sugar.
If you eat two cups, you’d have finished
almost an entire can of Coke with the amount of sugar you’d consume. Eating
sugar can easily elevate your blood sugar levels, causing headaches and
2. Cause Damage to Teeth
Possibly caused by the tremendous amounts of sugar
contained in them, pineapples are also known to cause toothaches here and
there. If it isn’t causing you to have cavities, it’s definitely making your
teeth remarkably desensitized.
Pineapples are citrus fruits, which means they
are highly acidic. These acids are known to affect the enamel of your teeth,
causing painful tooth decays. There’s nothing wrong with eating pineapples, but
it is advisable to consume the fruit in adequate amounts.
3. Instances of Mouth Swelling
Aside from affecting your teeth, pineapples can also cause
swelling in and around your mouth area. After eating pineapples, you might
notice a tingling sensation in your mouth. Unfortunately, that tingling
sensation is nothing but your mouth reacting to the meat-tenderizing properties
Your lips and tongue are probably swelling at this point, and
your cheeks have probably jutted out just a tad. This is expected to resolve
itself unless you just continuously decide to eat more and more pineapples.
4. Allergic Reactions
If at any point of your pineapple-eating escapade, you
experience any symptoms resembling that of rash, hives, irritation, or itching,
you’re probably experiencing an allergic reaction. Pineapples have been known
to cause allergic reactions in some people.
This side effect can go anywhere
from mild to serious, and you’ll know how bad it is in just a matter of seconds
after consumption. If you suddenly have difficulty breathing after ingesting
any small amount of pineapple, you are more than likely experiencing
This is a serious medical situation that needs attention
from professionals right away.
5. Medication Interactions
The reactions pineapples can induce do not stop with
allergies. They can also interact with any or some medications you might
already be taking. Pineapples are rich in bromelain, an enzyme that is
generally medically helpful for the body. It helps digest proteins and also can
increase the number of antibodies absorbed by the body.
However, the same bromelain can be dangerous when combined
with antibiotics, anticoagulants, blood thinners, insomnia drugs,
antidepressants, and a few others.
The side effects can be anywhere from your
medications not working for you completely to bleeding out from a small cut.
Alcohol can also interact with bromelain, so try not to consume too many
glasses of pineapple juice and coconut rum all at once.
6. Effects on Pregnancy
For pregnant women, eating pineapples can pose a threat
that’s more serious than anything else. Uterine contractions, which some women
experience during their menstrual period, may also affect expectant mothers.
The contractions can cause harm to the fetus and can lead to miscarriage. This
is how eating too many pineapples may cause. And while you may crave a bite or
two while pregnant, waiting to eat pineapples until after the baby comes may be
the best thing to do.
7. Other Severe Issues
Consumption of unripe pineapples and its juices can also
cause complications. These complications can be related to ingestion of
excessive bromelain. Some of these severe health issues are extreme diarrhea
Dehydration is the imminent danger when diarrhea and vomiting
occurs, and it’s a serious matter.
Other problems, which may not be as
dangerous but can be a nuisance, include an excessive menstrual bleeding due to
uterine contractions and nausea.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.