Saturated fats: Moderation is the key
While saturated fats are labeled unhealthy and bad for us, the reality is a little bit different. Although it can cause a number of problems when consumed in excess, such as coronary artery disease, it aren't that bad as it seems to be.
When consumed in moderation, it can actually help improve our health and decrease the risk age related disease, including heart disease. Even some healthy foods, containing plenty of good fats, have certain amount of of this "bad" fat, in them.
FOOD SOURCES OF SATURATED FATS
There are several foods containing these fats, some good and some bad. They are:CheeseMeatDiary products and creamIce creamButterPalm oilCoconut oilEggsFishDark ChocolateNuts and Seeds
The amount of fat in the foods listed above, varies. For instance nuts and seeds contain an average of 10 percent of fat per 100 grams. On the other hand, butter contains 51 grams, coconut oil about 90g, fish 25g, bacon 40g while dark chocolate contains 32 grams of saturated fat per 100 grams.
HOW IT AFFECTS CHOLESTEROL AND HORMONES
This type of fat increases LDL, HDL and total cholesterol. By increasing HDL and LDL at the same time, it ensures the proper ratio between them since HDL helps remove excess LDL cholesterol from the bloodstream. By increasing both of them, total cholesterol also increases, obviously.
This increase in total cholesterol gives body more raw material for production of hormones. Hormones which are produced from cholesterol are essential for our well-being and healthy cardiovascular system. However, we must ensure that our endocrine system works properly, in order to keep our heart healthy but that is another story.
Fats should account for approximately 20 to 30 % of your daily macro nutrients from which saturated fats should make 15-20 % of your total daily fat intake. Too much of anything can reflect negativly on our body as well as on the heart muscle and blood vessels. Also, this type of fat contains a couple of fatty acids which can't be found in polyunsaturated or monounsaturated type fats and that have some positive effects on our body.
HOW TO LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF SATURATED FATS
By eating nuts, seeds and fish you are getting good fats, along with just enough quantity of this "bad" fats. Avoid butter, cream and milk or at least limit their intake. You don't need to avoid meat but make sure that you are getting lean cuts of meats such as round steak or chicken breasts which contain low amount of fat.
Almost every cheese, besides cottage cheese, has moderate to high amount of fat thereby limit its consuption. Although palm and coconut oils have some benefits, they are too high in fat because of which you should consume them rarely.
When it comes to dark chocolate and egg yolks, although they are both very healthy and nutritionally dense foods, eating too much of them, will supply your body with a little bit too many of saturated fats.
In the end, it is a natural substance which is produced by our body and found in meat as well as in some plants. According to that, it ain't that bad as everyone are proclaiming it to be, provided that it is consumed in moderate amounts.
On the other hand, the real culprits are simple refined carbohydrates and trans fat which is the real bad fat. So, don't be afraid to add some saturated fat into your diet, it may actually improve your health.
However, if you have high cholesterol, then eliminating this type of fats, besides trans fats, from your diet until your cholesterol values improve, should help you.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.