Phytoestrogen foods: Good or bad?
Phytoestrogen foods are source of everlasting debate. Some say that compounds such as isoflavonoids and lignans have beneficial effect on our health, while others preach about their hazardous effect.
The truth is, they have numerous benefits, if they aren't genetically modified. For instance, soy is the most popular source of these estrogen mimicking compounds.
Although there is nothing wrong with regular soy, the problem is that 80 % of soy crops on the market today are genetically modified.
For instance, natural progesterone cream is much safer then syntetic progestin. Same rule applies for natural phytoestrogen foods, when compared to genetically modified crops.
PHYTOESTROGENS IN FOOD
Although GM soy is present in many proccessed foods these days, there are many other safer choices, when it comes to phytoestrogen rich foods and herbs. They are:
- Beans and Lentils
- Flaxseeds, Sunflower seeds, Sesame seeds
- Barley, Oats and Brown Rice
- Kudzu root and Red Clover
- Spices such as Fennel, Fenugreek and Anise
Phytoestrogens are also found in numerous other herbs, fruits, vegetables and nuts. However, foods listed here are the richest source of phytoestrogens.
When consumed in healthy amounts, phytoestrogen foods can offer numerous benefits:
- Reduce the risk of hormonal cancer, by occupying estrogen receptors thereby blocking xenoestrogens and estradiol.
- Stimulate hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, by acting as natural SERMs or selective estrogen receptor modulators.
- Raise good HDL cholesterol and lower total cholesterol.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease, brain disorders and heart attack.
- Improve bone density and lower the risk of osteoporosis.
- Alleviate the symptoms of menopause.
- Slow down the aging process, prevent photo-aging in human skin and promote formation of hyaluronic acid.
There have been many scientific studies done on phytoestrogens. Despite many researchers pointing out on potential benefits, they still warn about possible side effects.
PHYTOESTROGENS SIDE EFFECTS
Phytoestrogens may cause side effects, if they are consumed in high quantities or by people which are very sensitive to 'estrogen like compounds'. Potential side effects may include:
- They could have negative effect on testosterone production and male libido.
- Cause gynecomastia in men.
- Impair thyroid function and trigger hypothyroidism.
- Increase the risk of breast and prostate cancer.
- Stomach and gastrointestinal problems.
- Reduced absorption of minerals.
NOTE: Most of these side effects can also be caused by eating genetically modified soy. Natural phytoestrogens in food will rarely lead to these kind of problems.
At the end of the day, phytoestrogen intake is different from person to person. Most people find these kind of foods very helpful, while others don't respond to them at all or they find them counter-productive, in some cases.
So, try it and see how it goes. If phytoestrogen foods have positive effect, great. If not, try to avoid them or reduce the amount of phytoestrogens in your diet.
The only thing I would advise you, is to stay away from genetically modified soy. The rest is up to you.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.