Olive oil benefits and its powerful phytochemicals
Olive oil benefits are attributed to healthy fats and phytochemicals. It is rich source of monounsaturated fat, while containing relativly low amounts of polyunsaturated and saturated fats.
When it comes to phytochemicals, besides oleuropein, it contains tyrosol, hydroxytyrosol, lignans, anthocyanidins, apigenin and other flavonoids.
However, which grade of oil you are using, can make a big difference. Extra virgin olive oil is the least processed because of which it contains the highest amounts of healthy fats and heart strengthening phytochemicals.
It is one of the reasons why mediterranean diet is so effective for lowering the risk and treating heart disease.
OLIVE OIL BENEFITS FOR TREATING HEART DISEASE
Although fats tend to increase cholesterol, healthy fats such as the ones found in olive oil can actually reduce cholesterol, when consumed in appropriate amounts.
Oleic acid from olives may reduce total and LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol thereby improving HDL to LDL ratio. By changing signaling patterns in the cell, it can lower high blood pressure.
On the other hand, thanks to oleuropein and its metabolite hydroxytyrosol, the oil can prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol, neutralize free radicals and increase antioxidant defense, by supporting healthy adaptations at cellular level.
When you add other powerful polyphenols found in extra virgin olive oil such as oleocanthal, luteolin and lignans, anti-inflammatory effect of olive oil, skyrockets.
Regular consuption of olive oil has shown to reduce the level of chemicals associated with inflammation such as thromboxane, leukotriene and COX.
As inflammation reaction stabilizes, the risk of blood clots, atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease and heart attack goes down, especially when combined with healthy fats found in olive oil.
OLIVE OIL BENEFITS FOR PREVENTING CANCER
Oleuropein is able to improve the function of immune system, thanks to which olive oil can lower the risk of cancer, especially in combination with its anti-inflammatory properties.
Since phytochemicals have strong antioxidant characteristics, olives can reduce and even prevent oxidative damage to DNA. It seems to be the most effective against skin and prostate cancer as well as against cancer of digestive and respiratory system.
If you rub extra virgin olive oil onto your skin, during and after sunbathing, you can reduce the risk from skin melanoma. It is an old custom, here in Croatia.
OLIVE OIL BENEFITS FOR PREVENTING DEMENTIA
Besides fighting free radicals, phenols in olive oil may also neutralize toxic brain chemicals which scientists associate with memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
Since it can reduce cholesterol, stabilize blood clotting mechanisms and prevent oxidation of LDL cholesterol, the oil is able to significantly decrease the risk of stroke thereby preventing brain damage.
Few studies have been preformed which confirmed protective effect of olive oil. People that have been using olive oil on regular basis for cooking and as a dressing, had 40 % lower risk of stroke and 20 % lower risk of dementia, compared to those who never used olive oil.
The oil can also be used to heal cracked lips, as a hair and skin tonic or for preventing gallstones. Despite olive oil benefits, moderation is the key since even the healthy fats are high in calories.
In order to get all these benefits and reduce the risk of heart disease, you have to consume about 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, at least every other day. Although you can use it for cooking, it is better not to, since sufficient amount of heat can destroy its phytochemicals. Instead, pour it over your meals and salads.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.