Natural diuretics: How they compare with water pills
Natural diuretics and water pills excrete excess water and sodium from the body, thereby lowering overall blood volume which makes them useful in treatment of several conditions.
However, water pills or pharmaceutical diuretics are much stronger and much more effective then the herbs. On the other hand, the risk of side effects is much greater because of this.
For example, the body can become deficient in potassium and other minerals. There are also several types of diuretics from which some work by preventing loss of potassium and calcium, while reducing sodium.
USES OF DIURETICS
Although natural diuretics aren't effective as water pills, they can be used for the same purposes. This includes:
- Lowering high blood pressure
- Congestive heart failure - for serious condition such as this one, it is better to go with more stronger, pharmaceutical diuretics
- Liver cirrhosis
Some people may also use them when trying to lose weight. However, the only thing you may lose, is water weight which is short term effect that cannot be sustained. Not to mention that it can be dangerous, even life threatening.
These drugs can also be used for treating some kidney disorders such as kidney stones.
LIST OF NATURAL DIURETICS
The list includes herbs, few fruits and some vegetables, such as:
- Uva Ursi
- Parsley and Celery
- Green tea
Besides these herbs, there are many more foods which increase urination and sodium excretion, thereby lowering blood pressure and reducing water retention. This includes cranberry, apple cider vinegar, artichokes, lemons, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers beets, watercress, oats, lettuce, tomatoes and fennel.
However, when it comes to natural diuretics, herbs are slightly more effective then the foods but weaker than water pills. On the other hand, they are much safer then pharmaceutical drugs.
Caffeine and alcohol also possess diuretic properties but unlike herbs or foods these two are poor source of minerals such as potassium because of which they may actually increase blood pressure.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DIURETICS
Althouth the risk of side effects is very small, when the drugs are taken under doctor's supervison, they are still possible. They may include:
- Electrolytes imbalance such as low sodium levels in the blood
- Frequent urination and possible dehydration
- Nausea and dizziness
- Hormonal imbalance which can cause breast enlargement and impotence in men as well as deepening of the voice and menstrual irregularities in women
- Gout and joint pain
- Increased thirst
- Muscle cramps or arrhythmia due to electrolyte imbalance
- Raise blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- Kidney damage
- Skin rash
- Loss of appetite
Some people may also be allergic to diuretics because of which they may turn to some other medication to lower blood pressure. However, allergic reaction to natural diuretics is very rare.
For whichever reason you might take them, prolonged use of diuretics is not advised. Also, if you take them while having sodium rich diet, there is not much use from water pills. Also, potassium-sparing diuretic may lead to high level of potassium in the blood, especially if combined with potassium rich foods.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women shouldn't take them since it can affect the fetus or the baby. Although children may take water pills, it is not advised, especially due to the fact that they are growing. On the other hand, older people taking diuretics, tend to experience side effects, more frequently.
In this case, consuming foods which are natural diuretics would be a better way to go. If that is not enough, you can always consider taking herbal diuretics which are little bit stronger than the foods. Monitoring your kidney function, blood pressure and electrolyte levels, while taking them, may reduce the risk of possible side effects.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.