Motherwort: Strengthen your heart and relieve stress
Motherwort has the ability to improve heart function, while relaxing central nervous system. However, there are other motherwort uses that can be helpful.
Since chronic stress can damage heart muscle and blood vessels, the herb can benefit the cardiovascular system, by reducing tension.
Although it contains several phytochemicals, its strength primary comes from the alkaloid leonurine and iridoid glycosides.
The alkaloid has relaxing effect on smooth muscles which causes the blood vessels to relax and open up, thereby lowering blood pressure and heart rate.
Glycosides work along with the alkaloid and other chemicals in the herb.
BENEFITS AND USESCardiotonicDecreases cholesterol and triglyceridesPrevents blood clots and reduces blood platelet aggregationSlows down heart rate and lowers blood pressureImproves cardiovascular circulation and prevents heart palpitations
It is also used in treatment of overactive thyroid, depression, anxiety, insomnia, hot flashes as well as menstrual regulator, thanks to its relaxing effects on the nervous system and hormone balancing abilities.
Although the herb is relatively safe, it may cause side effects.It can increase sensisivity to the UV light, making you more prone to getting sunburnPossible stomach irritation, cramps or diarrheaUterine bleeding, breathing problems and skin irritations
Warning: Pregnant and breast-feeding women should stay away from the herbs since, it can lead to uterine contractions and cause miscarriage.
The right dose depends on the individual, so if you decide to take the herb, you will have to estimate the right amount by yourself.
The most safest way is to start with the lowest dose and gradually increase it to the point where you get the best results, without the side effects.
Motherwort is a natural sedative. You shouldn't take it with sedative medications or sleeping pills. Due to its cardiotonic properties, the herb may interact with blood pressure and heart rate lowering drugs.
It also has mild blood thinning properties because of which it can interact with blood thinning medications such as aspirin as well as with some herbs and supplements.
Besides the beneficial alkalods in the herbs, it seems that motherwort lowers stress hormones thereby liberating progesterone, which is good for the cardiovascular system function and womens health.
Since it works in its own way and not through phytoestrogens like some other herbs, it is also useful and safe for men.
Although it has shown as a great natural remedy for treating heart disease and stress related illnesses, it can be used as a general tonic by men and women.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.