Monounsaturated fats: How can they benefit you
Monounsaturated fats are considered a good type of fats. They include palmitoleic and cis-vaccenic acid which are omega 7 fatty acids as well as oleic acid acid which is omega 9 fatty acid. While scientist agree that they decrease LDL cholesterol, they are not so sure about their effect on HDL cholesterol.
Although it is generally accepted the belief that it raises HDL cholesterol some studies say that it can actually decrease HDL cholesterol.
This is due to slightly different chemical composition and the effect of these three types of monounsaturated fatty acids.
Sources of monounsaturated fatty acids includes milk products, olives, oatmeal, whole grain bread, avocado, sunflower oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil, popcorns, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, sesame seed, corn and even red meat.
Macadamia oil, animal and vegetable oils are rich sources of palmitoleic acid while Sea Buckthorn oil is the richest source of palmitoleic and cis-vaccenic acid.
Olive oil is the best source of oleic acid of the ones stated above.
BENEFITS OF MONOUNSATURATED FATSDecrease LDL cholesterolHelp in weight lossMost studies suggest positive influence on HDL cholesterol level by increasing itReduces the risk of heart diseaseDecreases blood pressure, especially oleic acidIt also seems that they decreases the risk of breast cancer and arthritis pain
Too much of any type of fat can cause weight gain and negatively affect human metabolism and blood glucose levels. Fats are very rich in calories when compared to proteins and carbs. They also contain a high quantities of vitamin E which can cause breast and prostate cancer.
Fats should count for approximately 20 to 30 % of your daily macro nutrients. As monounsaturated fats seem the most beneficial to humans they should make approximately 40 to 50 % of your total daily fat intake.
HOW TO INCLUDE IT INTO DIET
Simply eating whole grain bread instead of white bread will do the trick. You can also add olive oil to your meals, cook food with sunflower oil, make an oatmeal and eat handful of peanuts, walnuts and almonds once or twice daily in between "main" meals.
Although milk contains some of these good fats too, I really wouldn't recommend it. Only yogurt and cottage cheese are acceptable when it comes to consuming diary products. Also, red meat is poor source of this kind of fat and it contains a lot of saturated fat, so eat it in moderation.
Foods containing healthy carbohydrates and quality proteins also have some fats in them, including monounsaturated fats.
So, you really don't need to be obsessed about fats but it is good to know what snack foods and oils are good sources of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.
Combining them with polyunsaturated fats will help you lower the risk of heart related disease.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.