Holter monitor: Portable ECG device used for assessing heart function
Holter monitor is very effective way to determine the condition of your heart and cardiovascular system. It is worn for about 24 hours in order to record electrical activity of your heart during day and night.
Unlike with standard electrocardiogram which is done in a few minutes at your doctors office, holter monitor is a portable device. After they put it on, you can go home with it and do all the activites you usually do.
Actually, you are encouraged to do so, in order to get more reliable measurements. However, activities such as swimming and showering are forbidden for obvious reasons.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE TEST
Because of this, you should shower day before the test. Some people may have to shave their chest in order to place the electrodes. Besides that, there really isn't anything else you should do. Although, from my personal experience I would advise you to wear some loose fitting shirt or light jacket.
I say this because the holter monitor you will be wearing is somewhat big and you don't want it to stick out under your shirt for everyone else to see. Also, with all those wires and cables you will look like a terminator but loose fitting clothes will help you hide it.
WHAT IS TEST USED FOR
AS well as basic electrocardiogram, holter test is also used to record electrical activity of your heart as well as heart rhythm. However, it records the heart rhythm throughout the day because of which is even better in detecting:Arrhythmias and palpitationsTachycardiaFast or slow heart rateAtrial fibrillation
It can also be used to detect poor blood flow to the heart but additional test are required to verify the diagnosis. But when it comes to estimating heart function, 24-hours holter monitor is one of the best diagnostic tools out there.
KEEPING A DIARY DURING THE TEST
The doctor will give you a piece of paper and tell you to write down any strange feeling you may expirience while wearing the holter monitor. You should write down the exact time, duration and describe the feeling you may experience.
According to your notes, the doctor can check the recorded activity from the device and compare it with whatever you were feeling at the time. For instance, if you have mild chest pain at lets say 21:34 hours, the doctor will check the results from the holter monitor to see are there any strange readings recorder at the time.
Although this helps establish diagnosis, strange feeling you may have, can be caused by a mild stomach ache, for example.
HOW TO BEHAVE DURING THE TEST
After you have gone home, you can go about by your business. While the doctor will tell you to do all the things you usually do, not that many people will actually do it. The reason is that people don't want to walk around with the device and cables attached to them for everyone to see.
Although this would give better test results, people rarely do it, especially during the summer. While during winter you can cover it with clothes, during the summer, it is almost impossible to do.
Because of this, it is better to do the holter monitor test during winter if you can. Also taking a day off from the job can help. However, in the end, it is not a big deal and the test is painless, reliable and very safe.
Also avoid certain devices such as metal detectors and magnets. The test results are available in a few days.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.