Heart attack symptoms: How to recognize and treat heart attack
Heart attack symptoms may point on blood clot or some kind of a blockage in the coronary arteries. It can prevent blood flow through the heart which can lead to chest pain and damage the cardiac muscle.
The damage is irreversible, if the blood flow to the heart muscle isn't restored within 20 to 40 minutes.
Some people die 12-48 hours after heart attack because the heart muscle tissue continues to deteriorate which makes the heart attack complete. This causes scar tissue to form where heart muscle has died.
Causes of heart attack include smoking, unhealthy lifestyle, diabetes, stress and high blood pressure. However, the main cause seems to be elevated cholesterol which increases the risk of atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is basically a stepping stone before heart attack.
HEART ATTACK SYMPTOMSChest pain is the most common symptom. It is described as pain, fullness or squeezing sensation in the chest area. It can also spread to shoulders, upper abdomen or neck.Arm, upper back and jaw pain or headache. Arm pain, most of the times, refers to left arm pain but it can be experienced in either arm.Shortness of breath. Although it is a common symptom of lung condition it is also one of the heart attack symptoms.Lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, nausea or vomiting.Anxiety, nervousness or feeling cold accompanied with a pale skin.Irregular or increased heart rate
NOTE: In 25 % of the cases there are no symptoms which is especially common among people with diabetes. Also, only some of these symptoms occur during a heart attack. It all depends on a individual. Sometimes symptoms can come and go, only to return later.
DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND PROGNOSIS
Besides heart attack symptoms, cardiac arrest is diagnosed with the use of electrocardiogram(ECG) and blood tests that measure the levels of cardiac enzymes such as creatine phosphokinase(CPK) and troponin. In the case of heart attack, these enzymes are usually elevated. They tell the doctors how severe is the damage of the heart muscle. The higher the levels of these enzymes, the greater cardiac muscle damage.
Treatment of heart attack includes thrombolytic agents or clot busters which are used to break the clot, thereby restoring blood flow to the heart muscle. Other treatments include blood thinning medications and antiplatelet drugs such as aspirin and heparin. Bypass surgery and coronary angioplasty are also on the list of possible treatments.
Prognosis depends on severity and the amount of damage inflicted to the heart muscle. Level of damage will help determine when individual can return to its regular activities as well as how much activity can he or she preforme, following recovery.
HELPFUL FACTS AND TIPS
The sooner you recognize heart attack symptoms and look for help, the less damage your heart will have to endure. Speed of intervention is crucial, if you want to avoid more serious complications and even death.
However, it is better to avoid heart attack then having to deal with one. So, eat healthy and workout regulary.
Also, hormones play a big role in heart attack. High estrogen can lead to blood clots since it affects proteins in the blood responsible for triggering coagulation. On the other hand, progesterone normalises blood clotting mechanisms.
This hormonal effect has influence on men and women. However, it is more apparent in women since they produce higher quantities of these hormones.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.