Heart biopsy: Uses and risks
Heart biopsy or myocardial biopsy is a procedure during which the doctor takes a piece of the heart muscle tissue. The tissue is then sent to a laboratory for analysis.
It is preformed with the bioptome, a device which has jaws on the tip, used for obtaining small pieces of the heart muscle tissue.
It is used to watch for signs of rejection, after heart transplant surgery. However, it can also be used to diagnose:
- Inflammation of the heart muscle (Myocarditis)
- Different types of cardiomyopathy
- Cardiac amyloidosis
Since myocardial biopsy is an invasive procedure, there is some risk involved:
- Bleeding from the biopsy site (minor bleeding is to be expected)
- Blood clots or infection
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Collection of the air between the lung and the chest wall
- Injury to the nerve, vein or artery
- Tricuspid valve malfunction
- Rupture of the heart (very unlikely)
HOW TO PREPARE FOR HEART BIOPSY
You shouldn't eat or drink anything for 6-8 hours before the test. However, you should consult with your doctor, regarding the medication and supplements you take or allergies you may have that can affect the test. Jewelry and non essential items is best to leave at home.
Bring someone with you to drive you home, after the test, since you may be groggy due to sedatives. Although you will be received to the hospital, usually in the morning at the day of the test, in some cases, you may be required to come the night before.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING HEART BIOPSY
After you change into a hospital gown and lie on a special table, face pointing toward ceiling, where large camera and TV monitors should be placed, you will be given a sedative through the intravenous (IV) line in your arm. The sedative will help you relax but you will be awake during the test.
The doctor will use local anesthetic to numb the area, where he will preform the small incision through which plastic introducer sheath is inserted. Incision is usually done on the veins in the neck. Plastic introducer sheath serves as a doorway for catheter and a bioptome which is used to obtain samples of the heart muscle.
Special X-ray's are used to position the bioptome while obtaining small amounts of the heart tissue. Although the procedure last from 30 to 60 minutes, preparation and especially the recovery add several hours since the area where the sheath was inserted may bleed, after it has been removed.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER HEART BIOPSY
After the test is finished, you will be free to go home. The doctor which has done the procedure will explain you how to take care of the wound, when can you expect it to heal as well as when will you be able to return to your regular activities.
Results of the test are sent to your doctor which will discuss about them with you.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.