The king of heart herbs: Hawthorn berry
Hawthorn berry was used by humans to treat heart disease, throughout history. It is full of antioxidants and flavonoids that heart is so found of which are responsible for many hawthorn benefits.
Some of these flavonoids can be found in red grapes, other berries and some cherries.
However, the most important ingredient in hawthorn berries are oligomeric proanthocyanidins or OPCs. They are strong flavonoids which can, along with other phytochemicals in the herb such as vitexin and rutin, heal the body from within, especially the heart muscle.
HAWTHORN BENEFITS AND USES
The herb is used for:High blood pressure
There has been one study in which participants were taking 1200 mg of hawthorn berry extract daily, for 16 weeks. After 16 weeks those taking the herbal extract, had lower blood pressure then those taking the placebo.Chest pain (Angina)
Some studies suggests that it can improve blood flow to the heart and thereby treat chest pain, caused by weak blood flow. These also leads to longer exercise periods withouth chest pain. However, more studies are needed to confirm these claims.High cholesterol
A few studies on rats suggest that a hawthorn berry tincture, could be a powerful agent for the removal of LDL "bad" cholesterol from the blood. Tincture also reduced natural production of cholesterol, in the liver. However, human studies are needed to determine, if the same
hawthorn benefits apply on people.Atherosclerosis
Thanks to it's rich flavonoid content, hawthorn can prevent formation of plaque and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis can cause chest pain, heart attack and stroke.
Hawthorn berries also contain vitamins B-12, B-6 and folic acid which may reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, by metabolizing and lowering levels of homocysteine. High levels of homocysteine are linked to cardiovascular disease. Ejection Fraction
If you have ever had heart checkup at cardiologist, your doctor probably measured your ejection fraction. Ejection fraction is the amount of blood pumped by cardiac muscle with each heart beat. It tells you in how good or how bad state is your heart. Healthy people usually have ejection fractions between 50-70 %. Low or extremly low E.F. can be indication of tissue damage which may in time, lead to heart failure. Hawthorn berry is one of few herbs which may improve ejection fraction, especially when combined with CoQ10 and regular exercise.
HAWTHORN SIDE EFFECTS AND WARNINGS
Side effects include nausea, upset stomach, fatigue, sweating, headache, nosebleeds, trouble sleeping, agitation, dizziness, and palpitations. Hawthorn side effects are usually very rare but if they persist or they get worse, see your doctor.
There are some more serious side effects which can ocur but are extremely rare.This includes shortness of breath, mood changes, fast heartbeat and allergic reactions such as rash, itching or swelling. If you experience any of them, see a doctor as soon as possible.
Pregnant and nursing women should stay away from hawthorn berry since there is not enough data about its use during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
If you decide to buy any kind of herbal heart formula, make sure it contains hawthorn berry. While there are many herbs out there which can help in treating heart disease, hawthorn is one of the best.
Also, pay attention to the amount of the hawthorn berries in the formula. It should be the main ingredient in it. However, if you decide to buy the herb separately, then there is no need to worry about this.
Besides numerous hawthorn benefits, the most prominent one, would be it's ability to improve heart's pumping power, by
increasing ejection fraction.
By doing so, it improves blood flow and reduces the risk of heart failure, while strengthening weakened heart muscle.
Hawthorn berries are also used for treating arrhythmia. However, overdose can actually cause cardiac arrhythmia as well as dangerously low blood pressure, in some people.
Another way, in which the herb helps, is its calming effect on the nervous system which is closely related with heart function.
Although it is not strong as some of the other relaxing herbs used for this conditions, versatile abilities of hawthorn berry make it a very valuable herb in our arsenal.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.