Garlic benefits: A powerful herb
Garlic benefits are known all over the world. It has been used, due to culinary and medical purposes, for hundreds of years, ranging from common cold and flu till cancer and heart disease.
It contains enzymes, B vitamins, proteins, minerals, saponins, flavonoids and other compounds which are responsible for benefits of garlic. These compounds include quercetin, allicin, allixin, sulfur-containing compounds alliin, ajoene, diallylsulfide, dithiin and S-allylcysteine.
However, the most well known compund is allicin, which is natural antibiotic with antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and antitumor effects.
Allicin by itself, can be very useful. On the other hand, by eating raw garlic you'll get all of its powerful compounds into your system which the body will put to a good use.
Cooking reduces its effects and removes allicin. Allicin is formed by crushing or chewing raw garlic, so if you can, eat it raw.
GARLIC BENEFITS AND USESHigh Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Atherosclerosis
There are scientific studies which sugest that garlic can lower blood pressure and treat atherosclerosis, by lowering levels of homocysteine in the blood and decreasing cholesterol. Some new studies question its effect on blood pressure and cholesterol. When it comes to garlic and cholesterol, in my own experience, it is one of the best herbs for improving cholesterol values. However, I ate it in greater amounts and combined it with supplements such as fish oil. It also decreased my blood pressure but not as much.The heart protection benefits of garlic may partly come from the production of hydrogen sulfide gas
Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas can expand blood vessels and keep our blood pressure in check. Our body is able to do this because our red blood cells can take sulfur-containing molecules in garlic and use them to make hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas. Only
raw garlic is able to provide this kind of garlic benefits.Prevents forming of blood clots and decreases platelet aggregation
Coagulation is normal process which protects us from bleeding, in case of injury. Vitamin K is vital factor, when it comes to coagulation and blood platelets since it affects proces called platelet aggregation.
This processes can become impared which can lead to abnormal formation of blood clots and eventually, heart attack. Garlic is natural blood thiner which reduces platelet stickiness and arterial plaque thereby decreasing the risk of blood clots and abnormal platelet aggregation.Garlic stimulates production of nitric oxide, which relaxes the blood vessels lowers blood pressure
Nitric oxide is primarily produced in the blood vessels, where it prevents fatty deposits from sticking to the walls of blood vessels. It also relaxes and prevents arteries from narrowing thereby increasing blood flow.Besides heart benefits, garlic is also famous for its immune system and general health benefits
Garlic, besides allicin, contains
more than 30 anti-cancer compounds and antioxidants which can decrease the risk of cancer, especially stomach, colon, lung and liver cancer.
When it comes to other garlic benefits, it can be used for treating cold and flu. I mean, it can fight cancer, let alone cold and flu. It helps expel toxins from the body, while at the same time, boosts certan parts of the immune system which includes T-lymphocytes, macrophages and good bacterias in the digestive system.
It can also stabilize blood sugar leves, by increasing the release of insulin in diabetics.
GARLIC SIDE EFFECTS
In most people garlic doesn't cause any serious side effects. However, some people can be allergic to garlic. Symptoms of allergic reaction are skin rash, temperature and headaches.
The herbs is natural blood thinner, meaning, it can interfere with anti-coagulants such as warfarin or aspirin and cause bleeding. Eating garlic can be especially dangerous before a surgery and to pregnant mothers in late pregnancy.
Besides bad breath, eating too much raw garlic can cause irritation or even damage of the digestive tract thereby nullifying all the benefits of garlic.
As you see, there are many garlic benefits which can be very helpful. Whether you want to improve your cardiovascular system, decrease the risk of cancer, improve blood sugar levels and treat cold or flu, garlic is a way to go.
It is best when eaten raw. However, if you can't tolerate its bitter taste, supplements offer convenient way around the problem.
Normal dose would be 2-3 cloves, per day. To avoid garlic side effects associated with bad breath, choose supplements or sip milk to significantly neutralize bad breath.
Consult with your doctor before using or combining garlic with any medications, especially if you are diabetic, have heart disease, HIV/AIDS or you are taking some anticoagulant medications.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.