Fasted cardio: How to get the most from it and avoid side effects
Fasted cardio offers many benefits in which you may be interested. However, due to my history of heart disease, I was particularly interested about its effect on the heart muscle.
RAISE HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE
While fasting boosts growth hormone, working out on empty stomach elevates HGH ever more. Although any kind of activity will raise growth hormone, the results can vary.
Combining fasted cardio with slow and fast paced exercises can skyrocket secretion of HGH from the pituitary gland. Since combination of these two requires a lot of energy, the body goes into your fat stores to get the fuel.
Luckily for us, in a way we need wood to make fire, the body needs growth hormone to burn fat and lots of it, at least in this case.
Fasting cardio is great for burning fat, when done in the morning on empty stomach. Actually, many people use it to get lean and burn that stubborn belly fat.
I tried it and it works. However, after working out on empty stomach, you have to supply the body with necessary nutrients to fuel recovery process.
Although the body will always try to get the most from everything you throw at it, the digestive system is particularly sensitive after fasting period, especially if you combine it with exercise.
POST WORKOUT NUTRITION
Post workout nutrition should never be neglected. However, it deserves special attention, following fasted cardio. Not only that you fasted for more than 9 hours but you also worked out on empty stomach.
All that hard work should be rewarded, preferably in the form of highly nutritious, yet delicious meal. That means, slow and quick digesting carbs, protein and some fats.
You can even add some salate dressing, have some ice-cream or chocolate rich cookies to replenish your glycogen stores. However, if you are trying to lose weight, be careful not to overdo it.
IMPROVE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM FUNCTION
According to couple of studies out there, participants performing fasted cardio experienced greater increase in VO2 max, peak power and especially muscle glycogen concentrations, in comparison to those that ate before doing cardio.
Working out on empty stomach puts more stress on the body. Since stress forces the body to adapt, more stress leads to greater adaptation response.
However, a line has to be drawn since too much of anything can be bad. Also, fasting cardio ain't for everyone, whether you perform slow or fast paced cardio exercises.
BAD SIDE OF FASTED CARDIO
The biggest problem of fasting cardio, especially if combined with fast paced exercises such as sprinting, is potential loss of muscle mass. However, there are few tricks that can help.
First, just do moderate intensity cardio. On the other hand, if you like to add some high intensity cardio such as myself, you may want to try taking BCAAS or even half a scoop of protein shake, before working out.
Protein and branched-chain amino acids are anti-catabolic. They help prevent cortisol form "eating" the muscle fibers. These two, especially BCAAS, are also low in calories, so you won't break your fast.
At the end of the day, you and you alone should decide if fasting cardio works for you. Some people love it, while others can't stand it.
I personally love working out on empty stomach, whether I am doing cardio or not. However, even I don't use it all the time. If I get hungry or energy depleted, I will rather eat a small meal before working out.
The point is, just listen to your body. It will tell you if fasted cardio suits you or not.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.