Electrocardiogram: Safe, painless and effective test for evaluating your heart function
Electrocardiogram also known as ECG or EKG is a device which uses electrodes to record electrical activity of the heart. Electrodes are attached to the skin on your chest, arms and legs.
ECG is very extensivly used in diagnosis of possible heart disease because of its speed, simplicity, low cost, safety and the fact that it can detect several heart diseases.
It is used to:Diagnose a heart attackDetect irregular heart rhythm-arrhythmiaDiagnose poor blood flow to the heartEvaluate the condition of your heart or pacemakerEvaluate the thickness of heart walls and overall size of the heart
HOW TO PREPARE FOR ECG
It would be wise to shower day before the test. On the day of the test don`t exercise to avoid perspiration and moist skin. Also, avoid any kind of creme or lotion.
Wear only short socks on the day of the test as electrodes need to to be placed on your legs.
Also, it is good to know that some men shave some of their body hair to avoid pain while taking off the patches from their skin after the test is over.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING ECG
The doctor will tell you to take your shirt off, pull up your pants up to your knee and to take off your socks. Then it will place small patches to your chest, arms and legs. After that it will connect the electrodes with the patches on your body. Then you will be told to lie still and breath normaly while the device records electrical activity of your heart on graph paper.
The test last from few seconds till one minute depending on the patient. In my case it lasted about 1 minute because the doctors noticed some irregularities in my heart rate. Anyway the test is very short, only the preparations for the test last from 5 to 10 minutes.
WHAT CAN AFFECT TEST RESULTSNervousnessMoving during the testElectrodes are not properly attached to your skinExercise before the test, especially intense exerciseTalking or irregular breathing during the testMedications. Tell the doctors what medications you are taking, before the test.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER THE ECG
After the test the doctor will inform you of your test results or it will set up an appointment for another visit and consultations. In my case the doctor send me to do stress test right after the ECG after he noticed irregularities in my heart rythm. ECG and stress test where both available in the same facility at the time.
Anyway, the doctor will evaluate the results of the test taking in consideration your health, medical history, possible symptoms as well as other test results you may have.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.