Diet for lowering cholesterol: Eating Plan
Diet for lowering cholesterol is best suited for people whose blood lipids are elevated. It can lower the risk of heart attack and atherosclerosis, associated with these kind of condition.
Cholesterol is basically fat but it is also a source of energy from which our body produces vitamin D and steroid hormones, among other compounds.
Although cholesterol is essential for humans, too much of it, which is quite often in western diets, can cause heart related problems.
This is why diet for lowering cholesterol is so popular these days.
WHAT FOODS TO EAT
You should eat plenty of fruits and vegetables since they are low in calories and rich in fiber.
Foods like brown rice, oatmeal, whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta should be the main source of carbohydrates. They are a great source of complex carbohydrates and rich in fiber which will decrease cholesterol.
When it comes to protein and cholesterol lowering diet, pulses and legumes are good vegetarian source of proteins which have plenty of fiber. If you eat meat or dairy products, choose the ones with the lowest amount of fat. This includes chicken breast, cottage cheese and lean cuts of meat.
Fish, is another great source of meat because it contains healthy fats which can actually decrease cholesterol.
Yogurts containing probiotic bacterias, and spices such as curcuma and chili can also help you lower cholesterol. Watch out for fat percentage in yogurts.
When cooking, chose olive oil or canola oil which are good source of healthy fats that will help you decrease "bad" LDL cholesterol and increase "good" HDL cholesterol. Nuts, peanuts and almonds are also vital part, when it comes to diet for lowering cholesterol due to their effect on the cardiovascular system and cholesterol levels.
Oils and nuts are also an amazing source of phytosterols which can drastically decrease cholesterol, especially when combined with fiber rich foods.
WHAT FOODS TO AVOID
You should avoid or at least limit the amount of food which contains saturated and especially trans fats such as cheese, butter, cream, fatty meats and dairy products high in fat. These also includes some oils like coconut and palm oil as well as cocoa butter.
Now, trans fat is really the worst type of fat that you should watch out for. Trans fats are actually hydrogenated oils which are found manly in fast foods, french fries, margarine, cookies, cakes, microwaved popcorn and most processed snack foods.
Bad fats are not the only thing which can raise cholesterol. You should also stay away from high calorie foods which shouldn't be anywhere near cholesterol lowering diet.
CHOLESTEROL LOWERING SUPPLEMENTS
Although they aren't regular part of diet for lowering cholesterol, cholesterol lowering supplements can be very useful.
If you have hard time consuming some foods such as oats and garlic, than supplements such as beta glucan can make things easier.
Also, guggul, policosanol, fish oil, tocotrienols and fiber supplements can help, too.
Basically, eat less fats overall, especially bad fats and eat more fresh foods which are rich in fiber and phytosterols.
To decrease cholesterol, you should also avoid high calorie foods, meat, eggs and dairy products as much as you can until you values improve. If you can't stay away from meat, than at least limit its amount in low cholesterol diet and choose the ones with low fat content.
Spice up your foods with oregano, rosemary, chili, cinnamon, ginger and especially turmeric. The hotter the spice, the better its ability to lower cholesterol.
Before combining supplements and diet for lowering cholesterol, consullt with your doctor.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.