Coffee and heart disease: How stimulants affect the cardiovascular system
When it comes to coffee and heart disease, there are conflicting results. Some studies say that it can increase the risk of heart related problems such as heart attack, while others say that coffee actually decreases the risk of heart disease.
Well, they are both right but to understand why there are such conflicting results, we have to take a look at nutritional profile of the coffee.
COFFEE AND HEART DISEASE - STIMULANTS
The most significant compound in coffee, when it comes to stimulants and heart disease, is caffeine. Caffeine is natural stimulant which is also found in yerba mate, guarana, kola nut, tea, dark chocolate as well as in some drinks such as Coca-Cola and Red Bull.
Stimulants can raise blood pressure and heart rate, by increasing hormonal output of adrenaline and cortisol.
This makes caffeine and heart disease a dangerous combination, especially in someone with high blood pressure or impaired heart function. By ingesting too much stimulants, they can raise their blood pressure even more which can, in combination with fast heart rate and weakened heart function, lead to heart attack and death.
MODERATION IS THE KEY
However, caffeine is not the only ingredient in coffee. It also contains numerous antioxidants which can actually help decrease the risk of heart disease. While coffee bean in its natural form, is very rich in various phytochemicals, some of them are also produced during the roasting process, thereby increasing its antioxidant content even more.
Coffee may also raise LDL cholesterol as well as lead to sleeping problems, restlessness and anxiety since it stimulates central nervous system. In order to get the most of it, when it comes to coffee and heart disease, moderation is the key. This way, you won't over stimulate your CNS and you will still get all the disease fighting antioxidants, into your system.
On the other hand, if you are very sensitive to stimulants, then it is better to stay away from it, until the condition of your cardiovascular system improves.
SAY NO - TO SUGAR AND CREAM
How much coffee you drink is not the only important factor. Which kind of additives you put in it, also matters. Sugar and cream are empty calories as well as unhealthy source of simple carbs and bad fats which in no way shape or form benefit your health. Actually, simple sugars and trans fats are the main causes of heart related problems.
When it comes to coffee and heart disease, simple sugars and trans fats can negatively affect blood sugar levels, cholesterol, triglycerides and hormones since they lead to weight gain which imparis hormonal balance.
Ultimately, all these factors have an influence on heart muscle, blood vessels and formation of plaque which can lead to heart attack.
SAY YES - TO HONEY, CINNAMON, ALMOND MILK AND DARK CHOCOLATE
On the other hand, substituting cream and sugar for healthy alternatives can have the opposite effect. Not only that you are nullifying the bad effect of these two but you are also improving health benefits of the coffee.
Add honey or stevia, instead of sugar. Substitute cream with some nutritionally rich aditives such as cinnamon, dark chocolate, ginger or vanilla. Play with them and find which one suits you best.
I also advise you to remove cows milk from your diet. Although small amount of milk in coffee won't have any significant effect, when it comes to coffee and heart disease, it is better to be safe than sorry. You can substitute it for goat, almond or coconut milk which are better and healthier choices, when consumed in moderation.
If you don't like any of these ideas, you can always drink your coffee black or cut your sugar intake in half, which can also help.
OTHER HEALTH EFFECTS OF COFFEE
Stimulants such as coffee can be very useful in lowering the risk of age related brain diseases such as dementia. Numerous studies have shown that drinking coffee in moderation, on regular basis, can decrease the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease as well as improve brain function since the stimulants such as caffeine, stimulate central nervous system.
However, it can also lower the risk of diabetes, protect the liver from damage and prevent gum disease which can be very helpful, when it comes to coffee and heart disease but only when consumed in moderation.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.