Clot busters may save your life
Clot busters or thrombolytic agents are medications which are used in hospitals to break the blood clots. They are given intravenously thereby acting rapidly, thanks to which they can be lifesaving for people having a stroke or heart attack.
By breaking the blood clots and acting quickly, they can:
- Prevent further damage to the heart muscle
- Prevent further brain damage
- Restore blood flow to the affected area
- Decrease the risk of long term damage and even death
RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Possible side effects include:
- Low blood pressure
- External or internal bleeding
- Blood in stool or urin
- Decline in immune system function resulting in fever
WHO SHOULDN'T TAKE CLOT BUSTERS
There are several factors because of which you shouldn't take these drugs.
- High blood pressure
- If you are allergic to thrombolytic agents
- You are pregnant, recently miscarried or you gave birth
- If you recently had surgery, stroke or brain injury
- You have dementia, peptic ulcer, bleeding disorders
- Liver disease
Clot busters can interact with blood thinning medications, herbs and supplements such as warfarin, aspirin, fish oil, ginkgo and garlic as well as with some non-sterodial anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen. Also, some thrombolytic agents cannot be given a second time within a period of six months.
UNEVEN RESULTS IN MEN AND WOMEN
It seems that women don't experience the same benefits with thrombolytic agents, as men do. Women treated with these drugs were more likely to die or to have a stroke, when compared to men.
Although the reason is still unknown, it could be due to hormonal differences. Women produce more progesterone and especially estrogen which affect blood clotting mechanisms.
THROMBOLYTIC DRUGS vs ANTICOAGULANTS
While anticoagulants thin the blood, by preventing coagulation, thrombolytic drugs break the clot which makes them much more effective in treating ongoing heart attack or stroke.
On the other hand, anticoagulants are better suited for reducing the risk of heart attack. However, these two are sometimes used together when the reason is justified.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.