Cholesterol values and triglycerides levels
In order to keep the risk of heart disease low, you have to keep your cholesterol values and triglycerides levels, in check. While there are many ways to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, do you really know where you levels are.
NOTE: All values are expressed in mg/dL and mmol/L for US and international measurements.
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL LEVELS:
Less than 200 mg/dL or 5.1 mmol/L - Optimal
200 - 239 mg/dL or 5.1 - 6.1 mmol/L - Mildly High
Above 240 mg/dL or 6.1 mmol/L - High
HDL CHOLESTEROL LEVELS:
Less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L) in men and less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) in women - Low, your risk for heart disease is increased
Above 60 mg/dL(1.5 mmol/L) - High, your risk for heart disease is decreased
LDL CHOLESTEROL LEVELS:
Less than 100 mg/dL or 2.6 mmol/L - Optimal
100 - 129 mg/dL or 2.6 - 3.3 mmol/L - Slightly elevated
130 - 159 mg/dL or 3.3 - 4.1 mmol/L - Borderline high
160 - 189 mg/dL or 4.1 - 4.8 mmol/L - High
Above 189 mg/dL or 4.8 mmol/L - Very high
Less than 150 mg/dL or 1.7 mmol/L - Normal
150 - 199 mg/dL or 1.7 - 2.2 mmol/L - Borderline high
200 - 499 mg/dL or 2-2 - 5.6 mmol/L - High
Above 499 mg/dL or 5.6 mmol/L - Very high
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE TEST
Before taking blood test, to evaluate cholesterol values and triglycerides levels, you will have to take some precautions. Fasting, is crucial, in order to get the real values based on your diet and natural blood lipid levels.
You will have to fast for 8 to 12 hours before taking the test. However, discuss with your doctor before, to determinant how long you should stay away from the food. During days leading up to the test, you shouldn't change your eating habits too much but you should limit your intake of eggs, bacon, diary products and other high fat meals.
However, water won't interfere with test results as opposed to food or alcohol. If you are taking any supplements or medications, notify the doctor, so they don't affect cholesterol values and triglycerides levels, during the test.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.