Cholesterol lowering medications: Do you really need them
Cholesterol lowering medications are used to decrease high cholesterol in people suffering from hypercholesterolemia. There are statins, fibrates, resins, cholesterol absorption inhibitors.
By decreasing high cholesterol, they can reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, blood clots, heart attack and death.
Although they are all effective, each of them works in its own way because of which each of them also has its own benefits and side effects.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHOLESTEROL LOWERING MEDICATIONS
Statins decrease production of cholesterol in the liver which makes them very effective, when it comes to lowering LDL cholesterol. They work by blocking HMG-CoA reductase enzyme.
Decrease in LDL cholesterol leads to lower triglyceride levels and higher HDL cholesterol. However, the risk of serious muscle damage or rhabdomyolysis, is the greatest with statins.
Fibrates or fibric acid derivatives are the most useful for lowering triglycerides which leads to increase in HDL cholesterol and to moderate reduction in LDL cholesterol.
They work by breaking down the particles which make triglycerides thereby decreasing their production. Combination of cholesterol lowering medications which includes statins and fibrates can significantly increase the risk of life threatening side effects, such as kidney damage.
Bile acid sequestrants or resins work by binding to the bile thereby preventing the body from using it. The body uses cholesterol to make bile. Bile is a type of acid used in the digestive process.
Since there is not enough bile, the liver increases its production because of which more cholesterol is being used in the process. As a result, cholesterol decreases.
CHOLESTEROL ABSORPTION INHIBITORS
As the name suggests, these drugs inhibit the absorption of cholesterol in the digestive tract, from the foods we eat, by binding to specific protein found in the stomach, intestines and the liver. They are sometimes prescribed in combination with a statins.
Cholesterol absorbtion inhibitors are mainly used to decrease LDL cholesterol in the blood. Among all the cholesterol lowering drugs, the risk of side effects, seems to be the lowest with these ones.
SIDE EFFECTS OF CHOLESTEROL LOWERING MEDICATIONS
While high cholesterol and high triglycerides can be dangerous, so can low cholesterol and low triglycerides. I experinced this, first hand. Since some of statins and fibrates are very powerful drugs, they can also cause side effects:
- Muscle pain( myopathy) and muscle damage(rhabdomyolysis)
- Kidney damage
- Liver problems or liver damage
- Increased risk for developing gallstones
- High blood glucose levels
- Stomach pain and diarrhea
- Gas and bloating
- Memory loss and confusion
- Hormonal imbalance
You shouldn't take cholesterol lowering drugs with grapefruit, black pepper or piperine extract since they can increase blood levels of these drugs. By doing so, they can cause very serious side effects.
These drugs can also interact with blood thinners, cancer, diabetes, HIV and some medications used to treat the symptoms of dementia.
DO YOU REALLY NEED CHOLESTEROL LOWERING MEDICATIONS
Although they are very effective, the real question is, do you really need them? Most people can significantly improve their blood lipid values with diet and exercise, alone. Adding few herbs and supplements can speed up the process.
I managed to decrease my cholesterol and triglycerides, drastically, just by sticking to these guidelines. However, even herbs and supplements show to be too much for me, in this case since my cholesterol dropped too low.
Whether you decide to take cholesterol lowering medications, herbs or supplements, consult with your doctor, before taking them. In my case, diet and exercise were more than enough. However, some people maybe won't have that option.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.