Chest x ray: The good and the bad
Chest x ray gives an image of your chest cavity, which includes the heart muscle, large arteries, lungs, diaphragm as well as the bones of the rib cage and the spine.
Although it uses small amounts of ionizing radiations to create an
image, of the heart muscle, it is not the first option when it comes to
diagnosing heart disease.
However, despite that, it is one of the oldest and most used diagnostic tools, when it comes to medical imaging. It is quick, easy and simple way to detect abnormalities in the chest cavity, including the heart.
During x-ray, bones absorb the biggest amount of radiation, while the ionizing particles easily go through the less thick tissue such as the organs and the flesh. Because of this, on the x-ray image, bones are portrayed white or light gray, tissue and organs are dark grey, while the air is black.
WHAT IS CHEST X RAY USED FOR
The test can be used to find the cause of:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Persistent cough (including coughing up blood)
Or to determine:
- Size and shape of the heart
- Position and the condition of the pacemaker
- State of the large arteries
- Flow of air through the lungs
Besides heart disease, chest x-ray is also used to diagnose lung cancer, respiratory diseases and many forms of bacterial infections, among other.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR CHEST X RAY
During my chest x ray, I had to take my shirt of and remove all the objects above my waistline. Although I didn't had any jewelry or dental braces, if you have some, you will have to remove them.
If you are a women and you are pregnant, tell the doctor, before the test. X-rays are rarely preformed in cases such as this, in order to prevent exposing fetus to the radiation.
However, if the test is necessary, safety measures will be taken, in order to decrease the amount of radiation exposure to the fetus. You may be give a gown, during the exam but this usually applies for women. I wasn't given one, since I am a male.
RISKS OF CHEST X RAY
Only risk of this kind of test is associated with radiation exposure. Although it is very small, it is not negligible.
While having one or two x-rays is not significant, having more than that, especially in a short amount of time, is a reason for concern.
Also, besides pregnant women, children and older individuals are more prone to the risk that x-ray brings. Having an antioxidant rich diet, couple of days before and after the test, may help protect the cells in your body from radiation exposure and flush it out.
HOW IS CHEST X RAY PREFORMED
After you have taken of your clothes, jewelry or any other objects which may interfiere with the test, technician will position you in front of the machine. There are usually two pictures taken, one from the front and one from the side.
While x ray pictures are taken, you must stand very still. I had to hold my breath for couple of seconds which is very common during chest x-ray. This helps prevent blurring of the picture and gives clearer image.
Although you usually stand in front of the device, if you are unable to stand, the test can be done with portable X-ray machine, while you are lying down. The test is painless, that is, you won't feel nothing while x ray pictures are taken. Whole process lasts about 10-15 minutes.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER CHEST X RAY
After the pictures have been taken, you will be asked to put your clothes back on and wait in the waiting room until the technician checks the images. If the images are clear and the quality is good, you will be free to go home.
Although images are available right away, they are left for the specifically trained physician, for analysis. Before you go home, technician will tell you when the results will be available. In some cases, they may be sent to your doctor which will inform you about the results.
In my case, they were available in a few days, along with radiologist's report and I had to pick them up personally. After that, I brought the results to my doctor which told me what was already written on the radiologist's report. Besides the increased air flow in my left lung due to enlarged heart, the test was ok.
Although chest x-ray can be very useful in diagnosing heart disease, the less radiation your body recieves, the better.
I personally don't like x-ray test but they are effective in detecting heart abnormalities. Some of you may even require follow-up tests, in the future.
In this case, besides antioxidant rich foods, you can consider adding iodine or seaweed such as kelp which contains iodine, to your diet. Iodine may help protect your body, especially the thyroid gland, from radiation.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.