Carb cycling: Fat burning tool
Carb cycling is one of the tools that people use while cutting. However, it can also be used to maintain your weight as well as to add lean muscle mass to your frame.
In order to get the most from it, you should familiarize yourself with high, moderate, low and no carbs days. Also, there is something called re-feed days which is very similar.
This simple technique can help you achieve desired weight, without torturing the thyroid or slowing down your metabolism. Carb cycling helps prevent the yo-yo effect, associated with weight loss.
CARBS AND METABOLISM CONNECTION
Total calorie intake and daily amount of carbohydrates we consume are correlated with our metabolism. Metabolism is regulated by the thyroid gland. If you are on low or no carbs diet for longer period of time, you can screw-up the thyroid.
Triiodothyronine or T3 is thyroid hormone which helps metabolise glucose and fatty acids. If your total caloric and carbohydrate intake is low, the body will decrease production of TSH, T4 and T3, accordingly. Same thing happens with hormone leptin.
When there is no food for days or week, the body will slow down metabolism, by reducing production of leptin and thyroid hormones. It is one of its survival mechanisms that helps save enough fuel for brain function and essential body systems.
AVOID YO-YO EFFECT WITH CARB CYCLING
This explains why some people experience the yo-yo efect, while trying to lose weight. During the diet and being in caloric deficit, the body decreases output of leptin as well as thyroid hormones via the hypothalamic pituitary thyroid axis.
After reaching desired weight, people bump up calories and carbs up to maintenance level or higher. However, the body needs few days to return to its previous state until T3 and leptin levels come back to the normal, as they were before the cut.
People that do this to quickly or the ones that lost weight by starving their-self, usually get very familiar with the yo-yo effect. However, carb cycling is the smart solution which can help avoid this kind of problems.
HIGH CARBS DAYS
High carb days are best suited for training days, especially if you are working out intense or preforming high volume training.
Good example of these type of workouts are sprinting drills or weight training as well as HIIT and crossfit workouts. Having high carb meal along with protein and some fats, following these workouts, can help in recovery, by replenishing depleted glycogen stores.
LOW TO MODERATE CARBS
This type of carb cycling is best suited for low to moderate intensity activities. Good example of this type of workouts are burpees and slow paced cardio exercises such as jogging, cycling and swimming.
However, marathons which are by definiton slow paced activites are actually high intensity activities, due to their duration. For them high carb days as well as carb loading are much better choice.
NO CARBS OR LOW CARBS
You can drastically lower your carbs or restrict them completely, during rest days. Since your total energy expenditure is lower, the body will work just fine on protein and fats.
However, you can also use this technique in combination with slow paced cardio exercises, too. This combination can be very helpful, when it comes to weight loss.
Refeed days are a tool of their own. However, they can work extremely well in combination with carb cycling. They are best suited for people that are trying to lose weight and are on low carbs diet.
After being in calorie deficit and on low carb diet for few days, weight loss and your metabolism can slow down. By shocking the body with refeed day, we can bump up metabolism, improve leptin sensitivity as well as raise T3 and leptin levels, just by raising total calories and especially carbs to restore glycogen levels in the muscles.
This way, you can continue losing weight, while keeping your metabolism and the hormones which regulate it, at normal levels. The point is, refeed days and carb cycling can significantly reduce the risk of yo-yo effect, while trying to burn excess body fat.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.