Beta glucan benefits: Harness the power of this unique phytonutrient
There are numerous beta glucan benefits which can be very helpful. It is a type of polysaccharide and dietary fiber which is primarily used to improve immune system function and lower cholesterol.
It is also found in several foods but the most well known food sources are oats. However, other heart healthy foods also contain this type of soluble fiber thereby providing all the benefits of beta glucan.
Besides oats, beta glucan is also found in:MushroomsBaker's yeastUnprocessed grains such as Barley and Brown riceSeaweed
In order to get all the beta glucan benefits, simply include grains into your diet such as whole grain bread, barley and oats. However, beta glucan coming from yeast can be found in some beverages and fermented foods but the amount is very small.
Some mushrooms such as white button mushrooms can be found in supermarkets. Your local grocery store may even sell seaweed or medicinal mushrooms such as reishi, shitake and maitake. Check if there is a restoran in your area, that has mushrooms or seaweed, on their menu.
BETA GLUCAN BENEFITS FOR HEART DISEASE
Primary benefits of beta glucan on the cardiovascular system, is its ability to lower cholesterol levels. Numerous studies have confirmed this.
From my personal expirience, I would strongly agree with those statements since my cholesterol levels were very low after consuming oatmeal for several months.
However, I also took supplements such as fish oil, ate healthier and exercised regularly. That being said, I didn't measure my cholesterol levels before this, so I don't have anything to compare it with.
On the other hand, I was considerably overweight, before doing all this. When I got my blood work results back, it became apparent that my cholesterol was very low. My cholesterol levels were comparable with my weight loss.
According to studies, beta glucan can reduce LDL and total cholesterol from 10 to 15 percent. It affects cholesterol production in the liver as well as its absorbtion from the stomach and intestines. It even helps flush it out from the body, through the bowels.
Optimal cholesterol levels are correlated with reduces risk of atherosclerosis, high blood pressure and heart attack.
BETA GLUCAN BENEFITS FOR IMMUNE SYSTEM
Beta glucan increases production of granulocytes, monocytes and natural killer cells, by boosting production of cytokines. It is also known as immune system modulator which may help with autoimmune conditions.
It trains immune system to be fast, highly effective as well as to recognize abnormal cells in our body, more efficiently. By doing so, immune system can destroy viruses, bacterias or cancerous cells, while keeping us healthy.
When it comes to benefits of beta glucan on the immune system and heart disease, it can protect us against
viral diseases of the heart muscle such as rheumatic fever.
BETA GLUCAN BENEFITS FOR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
All types of fiber can improve blood sugar levels. Although our bodies can't actually digested fiber, it has significant effect on digestion, blood glucose levels and cancer prevention.
Beta glucan from oats and barley can improve body's response to insulin as well as blood sugar control. This is backed up by several scientific studies as well as by people all over the world.
SIDE EFFECTS OF BETA GLUCANS
Oats contain purines which are found in animals, plants and humans. High intake of purines rich foods can cause health problems, primarily excess accumulation of uric acid.
Although uric acid is natural antioxidant, high levels can lead to gout and formation of kidney stones.
Also, oats belong to the group of gluten containing grains because of which individuals with celiac disease should stay away from it.
In situations such as this, you can always take supplements thereby eliminating gluten from the equation, while getting all the beta glucan benefits.
Don't buy processed cereals or oats. Instead choose whole, natural, unprocessed oats which contain other nutrients, besides fiber. Oatmeal can also be very helpful in weight loss.
While, beta glucan can be very effective in lowering LDL cholesterol, it can even help reduce triglycerides, especially when combined with exercise and healthy diet.
My blood test has shown that, besides total and LDL cholesterol, my triglycerides levels were also very low. However, my HDL cholesterol values weren't extremly high. So, I would agree with those studies which say that beta glucan can't raise HDL cholesterol, at least not significantly.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.