Benefits of lycopene: Powerful red carotenoid with strong antioxidant properties
There are several benefits of lycopene which can be very helpful since it won't be convert into vitamin A. It is responsible for red color of some fruits and vegetables.
It is fat soluble nutrient which requires fats, in order for it to be absorbed from the digestive tract. This makes it work very well with fish oil supplements. It seems to produce stronger effect, when combined with other carotenoids, especially lutein.
Also, it is one of rare phytonutrients whose bioavailability, actually increase, when you cook tomatoes thereby "opening the door" to more potent lycopene benefits.
Besides tomatoes which is considered the main source of this great carotenoid, many fruits and vegetables offer benefits of lycopene, too. Ketchup isn't that bad either since it is concentrated tomato extract.
Other rich food sources:WatermelonPapayaGuavaPink grapefruitGacChili sauce
I eat papaya all year round, watermelon in the summer and other lycopene rich foods, every now and then. However, more often than not, I turn to ketchup, although it ain't the most healthiest choice since it contains food aditives, too.
LYCOPENE AND HEART DISEASE
It works in similar way as other carotenoids, especially its bigger brother, astaxanthin thereby exhibiting similar effects.
When it comes to lycopene benefits, concerning the cardiovascular system, it prevents oxidation of LDL cholesterol which reduces the risk of plaque build-up. It may also help lower total cholesterol, triglycerides as well as LDL cholesterol. However, it doesn't shows any significant effect on HDL cholesterol, as astaxanthin does.
On the other hand, as well as astaxanthin, it may reduce C-reactive protein which is one of the markers predicting heart disease. By doing so, it helps prevent atherosclerosis and heart attack.
Higher levels of lycopene in the blood have also been connected with lower risk of angina, congestive heart failure, coronary heart disease and myocardial infarction.
However, it seems that women respond better to lycopene. Nevertheless, men expirience the same
benefits of lycopene as women do but to a lesser extent.
SKIN AND SUN EXPOSURE
All carotenoids, including lycopene, can protect us from dangerous UV light, to a certain point. A woman that consumed large amounts of tomato juice for extended period of time, experienced elevated levels of lycopene in the blood which caused her skin to became orange-yellow.
However, she didn't experience any serious lycopene side effects.
experienced similar lycopene benefits, when I was working for the turist agency
in the summer of 2011. Thanks to astaxanthin and lycopene, I avoided the sunburn, while I had orange colored tan. Also, I didn't experience peeling or red, burnt, inflamed skin.
There has been a few studies which say that lycopene could be useful in treating and preventing several cancers, especially prostate cancer.
However, this may not be due to
benefits of lycopene since other nutrients in tomato may also be responsible for these properties. This includes other carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene as well as different flavonoids such as naringenin.
Although lycopene is a powerful antioxidant and carotenoid, I wouldn't advise you to take it alone. It would be the best to get it from food, in order to get all the lycopene benefits.
However, if you decide to take it as a supplement, either take it along with other carotenoids or with fish oil. Fish oil lowers cholesterol, while lycopene prevents oxidation of LDL cholesterol which makes these two work very well together.
benefits of lycopene mentioned above, this great nutrient may also reduce the risk of diabetes, osteoporosis and slow down the aging process.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.