Trans fats increase "bad" LDL and lower "good" HDL cholesterol
Trans fats or hydrogenated fats are the worst kind of fatty acids that are, along with processed simple carbohydrates and hormone mimicking chemicals, the main cause of modern diseases. This includes cancer, diabetes as well as heart disease, among other.
Although many people are pointing their finger at saturated fat which can be bad in excess, the real bad guy is hydrogenated fat. Although small amount occurs naturally in meat and diary products, the highest quantities are found in industrially made hydrogenated oils.
Also, this bad fats from man-made hydrogenated oils are much more harmful than naturally occurring trans fat.
They are found in:BeefLambButter and lard
However, the worst trans fats are found in:Fried foodsMargarineCookies and pancakesSnack foodsCakes and microwave popcornsDoughnuts and other baked foodsSalad dressings and other proccesed foods
HEART DISEASE AND TRANS FATS
This type of fat can increase "bad" LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, considerably. No only that, but hydrogenated oils are also able to decrease blood levels of "good" HDL cholesterol. Due to unhealthy changes in blood lipid levels, the risk of heart disease increases up to 50 percent.
The change in LDL-HDL ratio favors the development of atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries. Blood vessels became narrow and clogged which causes the formation of blood clots.
As a consequence, this leads to heart attack, heart failure and eventually death. Also, frequent consumption of trans fats has been shown to drastically increase C-reactive protein which is associated with inflammatory diseases, including the ones of the cardiovascular system.
On top all of that, fats and especially hydrogenated fat, causes weight gain, particulary in the abdominal region. Obesity alone increases the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
Besides eating high amounts of simple refined carbohydrates, consuming high amounts of trans fats, too often is also associated with the increased risk of diabetes. However, it seems that small amounts don't have an effect on insulin or blood sugar levels.
These fats can negatively reflect on the liver function and lead to inflammation which can cause autoimmune reaction toward the pancreas. It seems that the liver can cope with small amounts of hydrogenated fats.
However, high intake of hydrogenated oils can cause type 2 diabetes which by itself increases the risk of heart related diseases.
HOW TO AVOID TRANS FATS
First of all, avoid meats high in fat. Lean cuts of meat such as round steak and chicken breast contain very little fat which includes negligible amount of bad fats such as this. However, processed foods and hydrogenated oils are the real problem.
The best way to avoid eating crappy foods is to keep them out of sight. If they aren't in your house, you will not be tempted to eat them. So, keep cookies, chips, cakes, margarine and other bad foods far away from your fridge and kitchen shelves.
Instead, switch from hydrogenated oils to healthy oils and from cookies to fruits and fruit juices, to satisfy your desire for sweets. However, when you go out, you will have to practice a little bit of self control, in order to avoid cookies, pizza, doughnuts or ice cream.
Not only that diet rich in these kind of dietary fats can cause heart disease but it is also connected with the increased risk of cancer, dementia, depression, anxiety, arthritis and infertility.
While on one hand, trans fats improve the taste and shelf life of processed foods, on the other, they are actually endangering our health and reducing the life expectancy by causing life threatening diseases.
So, would you like to be healthy and live a long fulfilling life or enjoy in nice tasting, unhealthy foods which can cause heart disease and make your life short. Ask yourself, would you rather live to eat or you choose life over food.
I have tried both and my newly accepted approach is: Eat to live.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.