Simple carbs vs complex carbs: Their effect on the cardiovascular system
Complex carbs should be a big part of everyone's diet since they are our main source of energy. These healthy carbs are digested slowly thereby preventing big fluctuations in blood sugar and insulin levels.
On the other hand, simple carbohydrates provide instant source of energy since they are digested very quickly. That being said, refined, simple carbs are poor source of nutrients and they are loaded with sodium, sugar and additives.
Fruit, for example, is healthy source of simple carbs. The sugar in it is natural, they are nutrient dense food a great source of fiber.
WHICH SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES ARE HEALTHY
First lets set one thing clear. Honey and fruit are the only types of simple carbs rich foods which are acceptable and healthy, when consumed in moderation.
The best time to eat them, is right after you wake up and after exercise or between main meals. During sleep and exercise your blood sugar goes down since the body uses it for energy.
The best way to replenish glucose levels in the blood and restore your energy levels, quickly, is to consume fast digesting simple
STARCHY COMPLEX CARBS
The main food sources of complex
carbohydrates are legumes and whole grains as well as some fruits and vegetables. However, fruit and especially vegetables mainly consist of fibrous carbs or fiber.
The type of carbs which are preferd as energy source are complex starchy carbohydrates. The best and most easily obtainable food sources of starchy carbs are:Brown riceBeans, peas and lentilsWhole grain breadWhole wheat breadWhole wheat pastaPotatoesOatmealPopcorns
carbohydrates contain simple sugars just as fruits but these sugar molecules are bonded together thereby making a complex bonds.
FIBROUS COMPLEX CARBS
While fruit and starchy foods do contain these type of carbs, the main food source are green vegetables. Although only small part of fibrous carbs can be broken down and utilized for energy, it offers some significant health benefits.
Vegetables are the healthiest kind of food which consist of mainly fiber. Because of fiber, it is very low in calories which makes it a perfect for weight loss and colon cleanse. Good example of fibrous carbs are:SpinachBroccoliBrussels SproutsCarrotsAsparagusCeleryCabbageRed, green and yellow peppersGreen beansCucumbersMushrooms
Vegetables are also the most nutritionally rich foods, bursting with vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and antioxidants. However, its fiber content is second to none.
HEART DISEASE AND CARBOHYDRATES
Consuption of starchy carbohydrates and especially fibrous complex
carbohydrates is linked with significantly reduced from heart disease. Complex carbs help stabilize insulin and blood sugar levels and improve ability of our cells to use glucose for energy.
On the other hand, eating too much wrong type of carbs such as refined, simple
carbohydrates increases the risk of heart disease. With time, they can have negative effect on pancreas, heart muscle and lead to weight gain.
However, healthy simple carbs foods such as fruit have similar beneficial effect as the complex carbohydrates on the cardiovascular system, when consumed in moderation.
Also, fiber from complex carbs and fruits helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, thereby lowering the risk of atherosclerosis and heart attack.
That being said, fiber has positive effect on immune system function which reduces the risk of viral infections as well as autoimmune diseases, aimed at the heart muscle and blood vessels.
IMMUNE SYSTEM AND CANCER
Fiber is fermented in the intestines which can improve intestinal microflora. Basically, fibers are prebiotics which fuel the growth of good bacteria in the intestines which modulate pro and anti-inflammatory cytokines.
Cytokines are hormone like chemicals of the immune system which regulate the immune system. By increasing the number of good bacterias and modulating cytokine production, you are making sure that your immune system is functioning optimally.
On the other hand, simple refined carbs support the growth of bad bacterias such as candida, interfere with the normal functioning of cytokines and feed the cancer cells, causing metastasis.
The best way to reduce the risk of heart disease, is to limit simple refined carbohydrates and find the right balance between healthy simple
carbohydrates, complex starchy carbs and fibrous complex carbs.
The main focus should be starchy
carbohydrates, mixed with some vegetables to increase fibrous carbs intake. When it comes to fruit, 2-4 servings per day are enough.
The point is, limit the intake of sugars and man-made products filled with refined simple carbs. Focus on more natural approach, such as fibrous and complex carbs. By doing so, not only that your cardiovascular system function will improve but the risk of diabetes, cancer, arthritis as well as your weight, will all go down.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.