Calcium channel blockers for lowering blood pressure
Calcium channel blockers (CCBs) are medications used to lower high blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels. They can also increase the amount of oxygen rich blood in the cardiac muscle which helps the heart work more efficiently.
This drugs work by blocking the calcium channels in the heart muscle and blood vessels. This decreases the levels of calcium in the cell which causes smaller and less frequent contractions in the heart and blood vessels thereby resulting in lower heart rate, stroke volume and wider blood vessels.
Although these effects makes the CCBs very useful in treating hypertension, medications can also be used to treat many other kinds of heart disease. However, because of the way it works in the human body, the drug can also put our health at risk.
USES AND TREATMENT
Besides lowering high blood pressure, calcium channel blockers can also be used in treatment of:Chest pain-anginaArrhythmiaCoronary artery diseasePulmonary hypertensionHypertrophic cardiomyopathyDiastolic heart failure
Calcium channel blockers are sometimes also used after a heart attack, especially in people with adverse reaction on beta blockers and in those individuals which require a treatment for chest pain.
However, they are not as effective as beta blockers in reducing the risk of death after a heart attack. They can also be used to treat migraine headaches.
SIDE EFFECT AND INTERACTIONS
CCBs are very strong medications which can be toxic for some people and result in many side effects such as:Dizziness and faintingDrowsiness or fatigueBreathing difficultiesEdemaHeartburn caused by GERDTenderness or bleeding of the gumsIncreased appetiteWeight gain and constipationIrregular heartbeatAllergic reaction
Although every side effect is a sign for alarm, some, such as weight gain or allergic reaction are more serious than others. Calcium channel blockers shouldn't be mixed with alcohol, grapefruit, black pepper, vitamin D and many other medications and herbs.
Before mixing it with other drugs or supplements, consult with your doctor, otherwise the repercussions can be catastrophic.
Calcium channel blockers are a good substitute for beta blocker and ACE inhibitors. However, some of these drugs can be taken together in certain cases but only with doctors supervision. This can give better results but it can potentialy lead to more serious side effects.
Also, there are several kinds of CCBs, selective and non-selective and which one the doctor proscribes you depends on your condition. However, the side effect associated with these medications are more pronounced in older individuals.
So, if you don't need to take them yet but you have heart disease, rather stick with the diet and exercise. If these two don't work you can always start taking calcium channel blockers.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.