Anthocyanins: They are good for everything not just your heart
Anthocyanins are type of pigments that belong to the family of flavonoids. They are found in fruits, vegetables, grains and herbs. However, dark colored berries are the best food source.
Frequent consumption of anthocyanin rich berries has shown to reduce the risk of age related diseases, including heart disease.
These compounds are strong antioxidants which can protect the heart muscle and blood vessels from oxidative damage. However, they may also help rejuvenate the cardiovascular system and help repair the damaged tissue.
The best food sources of anthocyanins are berries such as:BlackberryBlueberryCranberryStrawberryElderberryBilberryAcai and Goji berryGooseberriesChokeberryRaspberry and other berries
However other foods also good source:CherriesRed grapesOrangesGrapefruitEggplantOlivesRed Vegetables (Red potatoes, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and red onions)Tomatoes and Blue CornCarrotsRed applesPomegranatesBlack rice and black beans
Usually, the darker and more unusual the color of the plant, more anthocyanins it contains. It is worth mentioning that these compounds are even more effective, when combined with carotenoids and chlorophyll rich plants.
ANTHOCYANINS AND HEART DISEASE
Besides their cardio protective characteristics, they may improve blood
lipids as well as slow down build up of atherosclerotic plaque or even reduce it.
There are many foods which can reduce LDL cholesterol but there aren't that many food that can increase HDL cholesterol. However, anthocyanin rich berries can do both.
While being antioxidants by themself, they may also increase the amount of natural antioxidants in our body such as glutathione and reduce the risk of autoimmune heart diseases such as rheumatic fever.
They promote healthy immune system reaction, thanks to their strong anti-inflammatory properties, by increasing cytokine production where its needed, while inhibiting several key enzymes and protecting the DNA.
Thanks to their positive effect on DNA, anthocyanins can prevent and even reverse gene damage, while activating the good genes.
Flavonoids in berries have shown to be effective in preventing the spread of cancer cells and reducing tumor size, by killing 20 percent of the malignant cells. They do this, by inducing apoptosis and inhibiting angiogenesis which causes the tumor cells to starve to death.
However, combining several healthy foods together would probably give even better results and stronger effect.
Although there are several types of flavonoids found in berries, it seems that mainly anthocyanins are responsible for these benefits. They seem to work, by suppressing the activity of a protein needed for the disease to progress.
Anthocyanin rich berries are shown to be very useful in treating digestive cancers such as colon cancer. However, they may be useful in treating other cancers too, including breast, prostate and brain cancer.
Bilberry is very popular herb used for keeping and improving eyesight, primarily thanks to flavonoids such as anthocyanin. Since they are also a type of pigments, they work great with carotenoids in keeping healthy vision and avoiding age related eye diseases.
It seems that they can pass the blood-brain barrier and enter the retina in a similar way as some carotenoids can.
When they reach the eye, they prevent oxidative damage by neutralizing free radicals, while increasing the production of retinal pigments, repairing the damage to the eye and protecting against UV light.
By reducing the risk of diabetes and lowering blood sugar levels in diabetic people, the risk of heart disease also goes down. High blood sugar can damage the tissue, including pancreas, kidneys, blood vessels and heart muscle.
However, berries and its flavonoids help clear out excess glucose from the bloodstream thereby lowering high blood sugar levels. They may also improve insulin sensitivity, reduce insulin resistance and prevent damage to microcapillaries, associated with diabetes.
If you can, get the flavonoids from the berries. Don't try to obtain them from processed berry products such as marmalade or jam, since they contain too much sugar.
If you choose to get anthocyanins from supplements too, as myself, rather choose the product which contains mix of fruits, berries, vegetables and superfoods.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.