Acetyl l carnitine: Powerful amino acid with antioxidant properties
Acetyl l carnitine is one of those special amino acids. One of the main carnitine benefits, is its ability to raise energy levels. It helps the body convert fat into energy, by helping with oxidation of fatty acids.
While its metabolite L-Carnitine helps transport fats to mitochondria, cell's power plant, Acetylated version of carnitine helps break it down through oxidation, thereby creating energy from fats.
This is one of the reasons why carnitine is heavily promoted as a weight loss supplement. Since it helps the body produce energy, it is also helpful for improving the work efficiency of high energy demanding organs such as the heart and the brain.
Our bodies produce carnitine in the kidneys and liver, in small amounts, every day. As we get older, our ability to produce carnitine diminishes. In this case, supplementing with carnitine can be beneficial for heart patients, especially older ladies and gentleman.
FOOD SOURCES OF CARNITINE
Before considering supplementing with it, you should first ask yourself are you getting enough carnitine from food. Since it is amino acid, foods rich in protein such as beef, lamb, chicken, fish and dairy products contain significant amounts of carnitine.
Also, red meat and dairy products are better sources then white meats or fish.
Acetyl l carnitine benefits can also be acquired, by eating some vegetables and mushrooms but they contain very small amounts of carnitine.
Supplementing with it mostly benefits the senior citizens as well as vegetarians. Body requires lysine and methionine, in order to produce carnitine which are usually lacking in vegetarian diets.
CARNITINE DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS
Carnitine deficiency is very rare, even in older individuals. Symptoms include low mood, muscle pain, high cortisol levels, depression, cramps, low energy, irregular heart rate and muscular weakness.
There are few possible reasons behind carnitine deficiency such as frequent or high intensity exercises combined with low protein diet. However, some hereditary disorders can cause it, too.
ACETYL L CARNITINE BENEFITS AND USES
Besides being an important amino acid, carnitine is also a strong antioxidant. Some of its benefits include:Reduces the symptoms of angina, especially in people who work out
Some studies suggest that it may reduce the risk of heart attack, death from heart attack, arrhythmia and heart failureImproves the ability of certain tissues to produce energy and use oxygen more efficiently
Carnitine has other benefits, too. It may improve mental performance, memory, mood and even reduce cortisol as well as the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
ACETYL L CARNITINE SIDE EFFECTS
Normal blood levels of carnitine shouldn't cause any problems but high levels might lead to side effects.It might increase blood pressure and heart rateOverstimulation, restlessness and insomniaIt can also cause mild headaches, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, in some cases
Warning 1: Acetyl l carnitine interferes with thyroid hormones. Avoid it, if you have thyroid related problems. If your thyroid is ok and you are taking carnitine supplements, check your thyroid hormones, every few months.
Warning 2: People with history of seizures, pregnant and breast-feeding women should stay away from carnitine supplements.
Dose depends on which condition is supplement used for. It may range from 200 mg to 4000 mg daily. People looking to improve the condition and efficiancy of the heart muscle can take from 1 to 4 capsules of 500 mg per day.
The best time to take it is in the morning, before breakfast or right after exercise, in order to get the most benefits from Acetyl l carnitine.
Carnitine may interact with anticoagulant drugs such as warfarin and acenocoumarol as well as some chemotherapy, anti-seizure, and anti-depression medications.
It may also affect the efficiancy of HIV and AIDS drugs, thyroid replacement hormones and interact with Accutane, a medication used to treat severe acne.
Due to the high carnitine concentrations in the heart muscle, many users report positive effects, after supplementing with it.
If you choose to take carnitine supplements, rather go with the Acetyl l carnitine which is more bioavailable. It will also improve your brain function and increase your overall energy levels but beware of potential side effects, especially the ones related to thyroid.
Taking alpha lipolic acid along with carnitine has shown to give even better results, regarding heart function. However, ALA can also have negative effect on the thyroid.
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.