How to improve gut flora: Do's and don'ts
Strong immune system function depends on gut flora, besides bone marrow activity and the lymphatic system.
Beneficial microorganisms in the intestines fight bad bacterias, affect
the production of cytokines, antibodies and white blood cells such as T
cells and NK cells, while helping remove pathogens and cell debris
through the intestines.
Besides being useful in treating intestinal related diseases, assimilating nutrients from the food and boosting immune system, they can also decrease the risk of inflammation, gum disease, heart disease as well as lower cholesterol and blood pressure, slightly.
Probiotics are good bacterias which are consumed through foods and supplements. Probiotics are meant to improve gut flora, by replenishing benefical bacterias in the intestines.
When it comes to food, yogurt, fermented fruits and vegetables are natural source of good microorganisms. However, most yogurts which you can buy in store, are weak source of probiotics.
They are made from pasteurized milk which is weak source of friendly bacterias, while the ones that are produced or added during the manufacturing process, usually don't live long enough to make it to your table, partially due to additives in yogurt.
On the other hand, you can make your own probiotics, by fermenting fruits, vegetables as well as fresh organic milk, if you can get your hands on one.
Prebiotics are basically fiber. Fiber is food for good bacterias which fuels their growth and reproduction. By eating plenty of whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables, you support the growth of friendly bacterias which leads to better intestinal flora and lowers the amount of bad bacterias in the gut.
The most well known prebiotics are inulin, galactooligosaccharides and fructooligosaccharides or FOS, while the best food sources of prebiotics are Chicory, Artichoke, Dandelion, Burdock, Barley, Oats, Garlic, Onion, Bananas, Apples, Kiwis, Beans, Leeks and Asparagus.
Sugar is food for bad bacterias. By stimulating their growth, you are negatively affecting gut flora and the good bacterias thereby making double damage with just one punch.
To avoid this, stay away from candies, cookies, even fruit juices, table sugar, sodas, energy drinks and basicly all the processed foods high in sugar.
Pharmaceutical antibiotics act by attacking all the bacterias, good and bad thereby upsetting the natural balance of your intestinal flora and decreasing the number of good bacterias.
Because of this, you should take these antibiotics only if you really need them. After you stop taking them and the infection is cleared up, you may want to take some probiotics and consume prebiotics to help the good bacterias bounce back.
Also, for milder conditions, you may want to learn more about natural antibiotics, before deciding to take medications.
Intestinal flora and good bacterias seem to have an effect on the brain function as well as vice versa, through the gut-mind connection. By improving gut flora, you may decrease the risk of anxiety, dementia, depression and improve your response to stress as well as brain function.
On the other hand, positive thinking may improve intestinal flora, by affecting the chemicals which are produced by friendly bacterias such as serotonin. Also, don't neglect your appendix which seems to be a reservoir of good bacterias and not some rudimentary organ.
For optimal results, mix probiotics with prebiotics. I personally, take ORAC-Energy Greens for my gut flora which contains both of them as well as many more heart healthy foods and herbs.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
Copyright © 2013 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.