Enlarged heart symptoms: What causes enlargement of the heart muscle
Although enlarged heart symptoms can help determine whether you have enlarged heart or not, imaging tests of the heart are the only conclusive method to determine the size of the heart muscle.
On the other hand, symptoms related to enlarged heart can be caused by another conditions.
Enlarged heart is actually a symptom of heart disease and not a disease by itself. Some people may have bigger heart, due to their genetics. For example, I have it as well as my father and his mother, my grandmother.
While enlarged heart is usually related to heart disease or genetics, exercise can also cause heart muscle to enlarge. It is known as athlete's heart. However, it is caused by adaptations of athlete's cardiovascular system on intense physical activities, not by disease.
Also, diet, lack of exercise, alcohol, smoking, hormones and lifestyle choices can affect heart function and its size.
ENLARGED HEART SYMPTOMSShortness of breath is one of the main symptoms of heart enlargment. Since heart's pumping function is weakened, it causes fluid to collect in the lung tissue which leads to shortness of breath.Chest pain is also a very common symptom. It is somewhat different than chest pain caused by heart failure or heart attack. Person with enlarged heart often experiences chest pain during exercise, while the pain is usually localized and it rarely expands to the arms, legs or back.Dizziness and fatigue are caused by lack of oxygen, due to weakened heart function.Swelling or edema is caused by fluid retention.Cough usually comes in combination with shortness of breath.Irregular heartbeats, PalpitationsThyroid problemsHigh blood pressure
DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND PROGNOSIS
Based on enlarged heart symptoms, the doctor will schedule an exam for you to determine the size of your heart.
Diagnosis is done with the use of chest x-ray, echocardiogram, CT, MRI as well as with the electrocardiogram, stress test, blood test and biopsy. This tests help the doctors determine the size of your heart, its function and to detect the underlying cause of the enlarged heart.
Treatment can consist of medications, surgery and even heart transplant in extreme cases. However, diet, exercise and healthy lifestyle can be very effective in restoring heart to its normal size and function. In order for treatment to be effective, it is essential to find the cause of enlarged heart.
Prognosis is often very good for people who stick to healthy diet and lifestyle choices. On the other hand, those individuals who continue to smoke, drink alcohol, eat junk food or lie around all day will most likely face death or heart transplant surgery.
HORMONES AND HEART ENLARGMENT
From my experience, hormones can have a huge effect on the heart function and size. However, diet, exercise, smoking, stress,
alcohol and environment(chemicals) have a immense effect on our hormones and
body chemistry. This is most obvious in teenage years, when the levels
of sex hormones are at their highest. However, it affects people of all ages.
I experienced some of enlarged heart symptoms, I really didn't pay too
much attention to them because of my age. Don't do the same mistake I
did, no matter how old you are.
Whether you have some of the enlarged heart symptoms or suspect that your heart muscle is enlarged, it is crucial to talk with your doctor and do some tests. I found out for my enlarged heart, by accident, during mandatory medical examination at the age of 17. Later I found out that I have it due to my genetics.
However, I also had heart disease which caused it to grow even bigger. Luckily for me, I found out in time and changed my diet, started to exercise and live healthy.
Thanks to these facts, some supplements, herbs and the knowledge acquired while trying to figure out the cause of my heart disease, I managed to somewhat reduce the size of my heart and get rid of heart disease, completely.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
Copyright © 2013 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.