Apigenin has StAR boosting properties
Apigenin is natural phytochemical found in fruits, vegetables, spices and herbs. Diet rich in this particular flavonoid is associated
with reduced risk of heart problems, neurological conditions and several types of cancer.
This type of diet may even slow down the aging process, thanks to its wide array of benefits. However, due to its poor bioavailability,
the diet has to be very rich in this particular nutrient.
On the other hand, supplementing your diet may provide easy way to its benefits, especially when combined with dihydroxybergamottin from grapefruits or piperine from black pepper.
RICH SOURCES OF APIGENIN
Although it is found in many fruits, vegetables and herbs, the amount of it varies. The richest natural sources are:
- Other spices such as rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil and coriander
- Lemon Balm
- Artichokes and Spinach
- Red wine
APIGENIN AND HEART DISEASE
Flavonoid has relaxing effect on the central nervous system which can help lower high blood pressure. Actually, the relaxing effect of Chamomile is mostly attributed to this powerful phytochemical which is able to modulate GABA receptors in the brain.
While it has few other health benefits, heart wise, the most significant is its ability to increase steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, know as StAR. This protein is necessary for production of hormones since it helps transport cholesterol, from which all hormones are made, into the cell.
As we get older, eat bad foods and drink too much alcohol, production of StAR goes down. As StAR decreases, so does the hormonal production which eventually speeds up the aging process and leads to age related diseases.
However, with apigenin rich diet and healthy lifestyle we can turn things around.
Flavonoid is also a natural aromatase inhibitor. It lowers the risk of blood clots and helps increase production of several hormones, by inhibiting aromatase enzyme which increases with age. It may even be used to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and heart attack.
Apigenin has shown to have all round approach, when it comes to cancer. It may reduce the risk of prostate, breast, stomach and bladder cancer as well as leukemia. Scientists assume that flavonoid works in several ways from which only a few of them have been identified.
However, strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory characteristics are for sure, one of the main reasons behind its anti-cancer properties. By preventing free radical damage and blocking COX-2, the risk of cancer can be reduced, a lot.
Flavonoid can also nullify the effect of immunosuppressants thereby boosting the immune system which kills cancer cells. However, it can have adverse reactions in case of organ transplant because of this.
Its ability to reduce and block excess estrogen from binding to its receptors, are the main reason why flavonoid can reduce the risk and slow down the metastasis of cancerous cells, especially breast and prostate cancer.
Although it is not an essential nutrient, its powerful health benefits make it a worthy ally in fight against heart disease. It is so powerful that it can even modulate several genes.
Although it is not effective as gene therapy, this kind of effects are very significant, especially when they come from the natural source.
While it seems to be very safe chemical, without any dangerous side effects, flavonoid can interact with chemotherapy drugs. It is, by itself, a potent chemotherapeutic agent.
In order to get sufficient amounts, you don't need to take supplements.
Diet rich in fruits and vegetables and especially spices can provide a substantial amount of this great nutrient. Also, citrus fruits are great source of apigenin since it is after all, one of the citrus bioflavonoids.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.