Citrus bioflavonoids can be used to treat venous diseases and strengthen blood vessels
Citrus bioflavonoids are natural pigments found in citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, grapefruit, limes and tangerines.
Although citrus fruits contain many bioflavonoids, the most well known are hesperidin, naringenin, naringin, tangeritin, eriocitrin, diosmin, rutin as well as quercetin which is found in many other kinds of fruits and vegetables.
They can be used to treat arthritis, boost immune system, prevent blood clots, speed up the healing process and especially to treat venous diseases such as hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
Since our body can't produce them, we have to get them from food or we can take supplements. However, they aren't essential to us but they can help.
CITRUS BIOFLAVONOIDS AND HEART DISEASE
Since they are antioxidants, they can prevent oxidation of cholesterol and neutralize free radicals. They can also reduce elevated cholesterol, high blood pressure and lower the risk of heart attack, by preventing excess blood clot formation.
Some of them, especially hesperidin and naringenin, are natural aromatase inhibitors. By lowering excess estrogen, they can inhibit platelet aggregation and positively affect blood clotting mechanisms which reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Bioflavonoids from citrus fruits also posses powerful anti-inflammatory properties, while citrus fruits are great source of vitamin C.
However, they are most useful when used in treatment of venous diseases such as chronic venous insufficiency, spider veins, varicose veins and hemorrhoids. They improve elasticity of the blood vessels, while improving circulation.
By strengthening the walls of blood vessels, they may prevent hemorrhage, bruising and damage to the capillaries which can be caused by high blood pressure and high fat diets.
Citrus bioflavonoids are also useful in treating gum disease, by neutralizing acids in the stomach and promoting alkaline environment. Balanced stomach acid reduces the chances of bacterial overgrowth, heartburn as well as gum disease.
As you know, gum disease is associated with the increased risk of heart related problems.
These bioflavonoids can reduce the risk of breast, stomach, prostate, lung, colon, pancreas and oral cancer. Scientists assume that their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are responsible for these effects.
However, some of them are able to inhibit aromatase and lower estrogen which could explain their ability to reduce the risk of hormonal cancers. Also, bioflavonoids from citrus fruits may boost immune system, help metabolize carcinogens and prevent growth of already existing tumors.
That being said, they have anti-viral and anti-allergy properties. Some viruses such as herpes or human papilloma viruses can cause cancer, in rare occasions.
Several citrus bioflavonoids are able to pass the blood-brain barrier, thanks to which they can reduce the risk of age related brain diseases.
They scavenge free radicals, prevent blood clots and hemorrhages in the brain, while modulating inflammatory reactions as well as endocrine system. All hormones in your body are regulated from the brain by the master gland, hypothalamus.
Making sure that hormonal system and endocrine glands are balanced will lower the risk of dementia, later in life.
Although many hormones can affect brain function, stress hormones have the biggest effect on cognitive abilities.
When it comes to heart disease, citrus bioflavonoids can be very useful in strengthening the blood vessels, treating venous diseases as well as in improving circulation and preventing hemorrhage.
However, citrus fruits are also able to lower the risk of diabetes, slow down the aging process, improve eye sight and prevent bone loss.
It is also worth mentioning that bioflavonoids from citrus fruits can benefit us, by modulating cell-signaling pathways which can reflect on numerous body functions, in a good way.
So, don't forget to get your weekly dose of citrus fruits. However, if you're on a tight schedule, you can consider taking citrus bioflavonoids supplements. On the other hand, whole foods are always better option since they contain fiber, vitamins, minerals and other health improving phytonutrients.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2016 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.