Coenzyme Q10 benefits: Fish oil's partner in fighting heart disease
There are numerous coenzyme Q10 benefits. CoQ10 is fat-soluble, vitamin like substance which is present in energy producing center of every cell, known as the mitochondria.
Mitochondria is like a power plant responsible for producing 95 % of our energy, in form of ATP or Adenosine Triphosphate. CoQ10 is like a fuel for mitochondria. For instance, stars such as our sun create energy from hydrogen.
As the sun uses all the hydrogen, it will gradually expand and maybe even swallow the Earth. When CoQ10 levels drop, the heart muscle also grows bigger, in order to compensate for lack of fuel. However, there is a limit to how much the heart muscle can grow.
Scientists suspect that deficiency is one of the main causes behind heart failure, high blood pressure caused by declining heart function and especially low ejection fraction of the cardiac muscle.
CAUSES OF LOW CoQ10 LEVELS
Our own bodies produce this vital nutrient but the highest levels are seen only in the first 20 - 30 years of our life. As we age, we lose coenzyme Q10 benefits since the production of this life prolonging chemical, goes down.
To avoid problems associated with declining levels of CoQ10, modern science offers solution, by supplementing our diets with CoQ10.
Besides aging, low levels of CoQ10 are associated with smoking, excessive alcohol intake and malnutrition. Which kind of food you eat, may affect CoQ10 levels as well as whether you will experience all the benefits of coenzyme Q10 or not.
COENZYME Q10 FOOD SOURCES
The best food source of CoQ10 is meat which includes fish, liver, beef, heart, lamb, chicken, pork and eggs. Cooking, frying and freezing foods lowers the amount of CoQ10.
These also applies for vegetables and fruits which contain CoQ10 such as spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, orange and strawberries.
Oils like soybean, rapeseed and canola oil as well as some grains and seeds such as peanuts, pistachios and sesame seeds, are good sources of CoQ10 which also offer all the coenzyme Q10 benefits.
UBIQUINONE VS UBIQUINOL
Since CoQ10 is fat-soluble, it is absorbed better when taken with fats such as fish oil. Also Coenzyme Q10 comes in three forms, ubiquinone, ubisemiquinone and the most effective, ubiquinol.
For a long time there was only ubiquinone avaible as CoQ10 supplement but thanks to advancement in technology scientist were able to produce ubiquinol.
Ubiquinol has two additional hydrogens which greatly enhance its bioavailability, when compared to ubiquinone. It seems to be six times stronger then ubiquinone for increasing blood levels of Coenzyme Q10. It also has much more powerful antioxidant properties.
COENZYME Q10 BENEFITS AND USES
There are many benefits of coenzyme q10. It can help with:High blood pressureHigh cholesterolPrevent heart damage caused by some chemotherapy drugsArrhythmiaAtherosclerosisChest painMitral valve prolapseSome studies suggest that taking CoQ10 with cholesterol lowering medications can reduce the risk of side effect, associated with
low cholesterol and statins. DiabetesGum disease
Parkinson's diseaseHuntington's diseaseCancerBoosts immune systemImproves energy levels, by increasing production of ATP
Despite numerous coenzyme Q10 benefits, it may cause side effects such as upset stomach, diarrhea, chest pain, breathing problems and rash.
Safety of CoQ10 during pregnancy and breastfeeding is still unknown. It would be better to avoid it until more informations are available, in this case.
Consult your doctor before taking CoQ10, especially if you are using any medications such as chemotherapy drugs, beta blockers, blood pressure medications, blood thinners or antidepressants.
Avoid CoQ10 at least two weeks prior to the surgery, if you have one, since it can interfere with blood pressure.
Coenzyme Q10 is next to the omega 3 fatty acids, the most sold supplement used in alternative treatment of heart diseases. Since ubiquinol has become available, many people tried it and the reviews are very positive.
From my own experience, it does seems to be stronger then ubiquinone. However, I didn't experience such dramatic effects as some people. Probably because I am still young and my levels are relatively high.
Nevertheless, coenzyme Q10 benefits can be of great help for people with low E.F and weak cardiac muscle. Increasing levels of CoQ10 in the mitochondria, may increase ejection fraction(E.F) of the cardiac muscle and reduce the risk of heart failure.
- Heart Healthy Diet: Simple Tips and Guidelines
- Learn everything you need to know about heart healthy diet and find the right one for you. Implement few simple tips for immediate benefits.
- Heart Healthy Foods: How to Get the Most from Them
- Heart healthy foods can improve cardiovascular system function. Foods good for the heart are bursting with vitamins, minerals and rejuvenating phytochemicals.
- Herbs for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- You have heard for hawthorn and garlic but there are few other herbs for the heart which can help in treating heart disease, naturally.
- The Best Heart Health Supplements
- Besides fish oil, there are several heart health supplements which can be useful. This includes Coenzyme Q10, Salicin, vitamin D3 and few others.
- Heart Healthy Spices
- Although there are many heart healthy spices out there, each of them can help prevent and treat heart disease in its own way, thanks to different types of flavonoids in these heart spices.
- Stress and Heart Disease: How are They Connected
- Stress and heart disease are closely related. In order to decrease the risk of heart problems, we have to learn how to handle the stress and treat its consequences, if we are unable to avoid it.
- Cardio Exercises for the Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Cardio exercises are vital part of natural heart disease treatment. However, which kind of heart exercise you should preform, varies from person to person.
- Good vs Bad Cholesterol: How to Improve Cholesterol Values
- Good vs bad cholesterol conflict is somewhat misunderstood. There is no good or bad cholesterol but only high or unbalanced cholesterol.
- Good Fats vs Bad Fats: Nutritional Facts and Guidelines
- What is the real truth when it comes to good fats vs bad fats? How much dietary fats should you consume daily and what are the best food sources of healthy fats?
- High Blood Pressure Remedies
- High blood pressure remedies range from tips and lifestyle modification to herbs and supplements. However, the method that works for someone else, may not work for you.
- Normal Heart Rate: How is Regulated and Influential Factors
- Normal heart rate varies from person to person. Although, age affects resting heart rate, there are many other factors that can raise or decrease heart rate.
- How to Lose Fat: Overlooked Tips for Weight Loss
- How to lose fat is surely one of the most intriguing questions for so many people. However, the answer is very simple. Eat healthy foods, perform fat burning exercises and take care of your hormones.
- Hormones and Heart Disease Connection
- Don't neglect hormones and heart disease connection. If you want to treat or prevent heart disease you have to balance your hormones.
- Heart Disease and Immune System Connection
- Heart disease and immune system connection is often overlooked, while trying to improve cardiovascular system function. However, there are several things you can do to change this.
- Dental Health Heart Disease Connection: Facts and Tips
- Dental health heart disease connection is one of three overlooked factors, along with hormones and immune system. However, with smart and effective approach we can change this.
- Causes of Heart Disease
- There are many causes of heart disease and factors that can increase or decrease your risk for developing heart related problems. Check how to turn the tide in your favour.
- Symptoms of Heart Disease
- There are few main symptoms of heart disease. Find out which are they, how to recognize them as well as my personal experience with some of them.
- Diagnosis of Heart Disease
- Accurate diagnosis of heart disease is the first step toward recovery. You can't start with treatment before you know what kind of disease you have, obviously.
- Treatment for Heart Disease: Medications and Surgeries
- Standard treatment for heart disease consists of surgeries, medications and devices. Which one is right for you, depends on your condition.
- Heart Disease Blog
- This is a blog about natural remedies, personal stories, helpful herbs and supplements, workout program as well as other tips and facts which may help people faced with heart disease.
- Contact Me
- Ask questions and leave comments about this site here.
- About the Author of Heart Health Guide
- About the author of Heart-health-guide.com website.
- Heart Health Guide Sitemap
- This is sitemap of Heart Health Guide.com. If you want to get better overview of informations on this website, you can get it here.
Copyright © 2014 - Heart Health Guide - All Rights Reserved.